Aiptasia

I've zapped my largest 4 with lemon juice, and they are completely gone now. It took two applications for one stubborn Aiptasia in particular, but they do seem to just disintegrate if you stick 'em right. I just hope nothing I'm doing with the needle causes them to come back twice as bad as before!

I'd be interested to hear if those Peppermint Shrimp are doing their job. Any news on that?

Thanks!!

Aptasia are certainly a problem...like weeds in a lawn.
Through the decades I've been in the hobby I've tried just about every "cure" to get rid of them in my tanks and here is what I've found to work:

1. Aptasia X-excellent new product on the market, but definitely best used when the outbreak is still in early stages. Although the product comes with two applicators, one designed to get under and behind rocks, I think a full blown outbreak in a large tank full of rock is almost impossible to eradicate in this manner alone simply because you can't get to many of them. A word of caution when used in small tanks...only do a few a day (the largest ones first) as the product will mess with your parameters in large doses.

2. Pepperming Shrimp-I agree with Damac. In some cases just one pep with do away with aptasia, but the best and most consistent results seem to be with packs of at least 3 or more. Wild caught, IMO, seem to be more apt to eat aptasia over tank raised. Although Peppermint shrimp have their negative side (will often eat desirables in the tank as well, including feather dusters) they are often a very good source of eradicating aptasia in several weeks to a month depending on the amount of anemones they have to work through.

3. Copperband butterfly-I personally keep copperbands in many of my tanks to keep aptasia and marjanos out. Copperbands do get large so should be kept in bigger tanks. There are concerns over their eating in captivity and I've found that smaller specimans adapt much better than larger ones. Also, MAC certified copperbands seem to do best of all. Always make sure they are eating before buying! It's also a good idea to hold off feeding the first day or so in order to allow them to forage the rock and start eating the aptasia over foods placed in the tank. Do keep in mind as well that they may sometimes nip at fleshy LPS and clam mantles.

4. Leatherjacket Filefish-a very unusual fish and a favorite of mine. These guys are known to feast on aptasia and I know several people currently keeping these fish that have had great luck with them wiping out their aptasia problems. As with other "reef safe with caution" fish, they may nip at some corals, but I've not personally had experience with them doing so as long as they have aptasia or an adequate food supply to keep them well fed.

5. Berghia Nudibranchs-these guys do eat aptasia, but they also easily get sucked up into overflows. I've never been able to keep them in the tank long enough to really do any good, but I always have a lot of flow in my tanks, so they may do better in lower flow systems.

Of course in fish only or FOWLER systems, the very best bet is usually a racoon butterfly. I've know them to wipe out a tank of aptasia in a matter of weeks, but of course these fish are not reef save at all!

Good luck Jeff. I'd give the peps some time and cut back a bit on feeding so they are hunting for food. Marcye

Last edited:
Hi CatFish...I feel your pain.
I just went through an aptasia invasion. I have a 92 gallon that must of had at least 100 visible. I stopped counting, turned red and began the battle. After much research, I felt the best attempt would have been taking a stab at a cooporative copper banded butterfly. Having no luck locating one, I decided to go to plann B...peppermint shrimp. I picked up 3 shrimp and waited about a
week before I noticed one hammering away on an aptasia. Finnally! I kid you not, within 1 week, those little guys wiped out almost every aptasia. I would recomend to anyone with the same issue that they look to peppermints for plan A.

LOL, well my "pain" wasn't so bad. I had about 4 or so large ones, and I did my best to inject them with lemon juice. So far, my experiences with the lemon juice has been positive, but I don't believe that lemon juice would be efficient in a larger aquarium (greater than my 40 gallons).

Just to be clear, I want to mention that I've been careful to "stick" my Aiptasia in the body of the little beast, and not down through the mouth, as would seem to be the easiest. From what I've read on RC, and from what I've experienced so far, its important to inject the lemon juice right into the side of the anemone; right into the body cavity directly.

So far, I've "stabbed" 4 of my largest, and most obtrusive Aiptasia with lemon juice. Two out of the four disintegrated quickly, but two others quickly came right back. A couple days later, I "gassed" the remaining two Aiptasia again, and it seems I got 'em with that last treatment.

I want to add that my four large anemone were about an inch or greater in mantel diameter.

My concern is, I can see a little trail of slime when I "stick" the anemone with the syringe loaded with lemon juice. I'm wondering if I'm going to see an outbreak caused by the needle physically breaking up the little anemones, or if that trail of slime is a good thing?

Could anyone else comment on the long term effectiveness of treating Aiptasia with lemon juice?

Has anyone tried the Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH) method detailed here:
http://www.reefscapes.net/articles/breefcase/aiptasia_control.html

Has there been any update on the Peppermint Shrimp efforts from Swirlygig?

Thank you!!

RFC

Last edited:
Took about 3-4 weeks but my copperband just finished snacking on the last one. They are now completely gone from what I can see...and I had a ton of them including some very large ones.

A Copperband did the trick for me. Wiped every one out and has kept them out for about 8 months now. Great fish too, really hasn't picked on anything but the live rock.

Aptasia X is also a great producted as mentioned. I use it on my shallow tank when I see one crop up.

Last edited:
i also had this problem i had a few peps that did nothing went and got a Copperband fish from aquaholics and he made short work of them, just about a week and 20 were gone! just had him (Freddy) for about a mouth and there are only 3 left.

Looks like Copperband is just about a sure thing.

The peppermint shrimps are breeding and feeding my corals now...it's fun to watch them (tiny shrimps) swarm a flashlight at night. Whatever I shine the flashlight on gets swarmed by the baby shrimp...and of coarse, they are eaten by whatever I'm shining my light on.

Who needs TV....
Thanks for the welcome catfish.

Back