Aiptasia

Swirlygig

I have a tank full of them now...This is insane!

What works best and can anyone help me?

I want them gone...

Anyone have a

copperband - proven to eat them?
Shrimp that will eat them?
Filefish?

I have tried zapping them with juice, they just come back worse...

Anything would really be appreciated...

Jeff

I have the same problem. I bought a copperband last week and can't really tell if he is eating them or not. I also tried injecting them with a needle and lemon juice...no luck. Tagging along.

My peppermint eats them for lunch.

However I'm not totally set on lending a shrimp out. Obviously they are more sensitive to acclimate than a fish. Mine just molted the other day. So I'm not sure stressing him out further would be too wise. Filefish are pretty neat fish. I actually wish I had a bigger tank to house one. Divers Den @ DFS has a few neat ones.

If I had two that ate it, I wouldn't mind lending one out, just in case anything happened, I'd still have the other. But I don't. I just have one..

I had them bad, I added a peppermint shrimp and it did nothing. I added another peppermint shrimp and still nothing... then all of the sudden, they slowly started disappearing. Now, I have none. I didnt feed the tank much at that time, and I think that helped get the shrimp interested in them as a food source. I really think that is the key - starving peppermint shirmp LOL.

I had to QT my shrimp while I treated my tank for redbugs. If you want to borrow the shrimp, you can come pick them up... but I dont know how the heck you would fish them out when your done with them.... I know, do you want to make a trade? How about a frag of that chalice you know I want? ;)

+1 on the peppermint shrimp.....I have however used Joes juice in the past when I had a large outbreak and it worked great. I killed all of it off in about 5 min and it never came back in that tank. I have a mixed reef and I didnt have any problems with killing anything else when I used it either. It just depends on how fast you want it gone. I would recommend 2 shrimp per 20gallons. JMI

Another option can be berghia. I think if you research it you will get mixed reviews about them. The good thing is that aiptasia is all that they eat. I ordered them from someone on RC and had great success with them. I think when most people get them they expect a change overnight. Let me know if you need the info from the person here on RC.

I tried shrimp and they didnt do much. so I switched to aipstasia x. stuff works great. you just have to inject it into their mouths before they close. has worked like a charm. I had a 150 stuffed with them. it will take several applications to get them all. I treated every 2 weeks allowing for ones I hadnt seen or treated enough. I still have about half of the "x" bottle left. it dosnt take much. If you have any questions..pm me.

So true, I was fighting aptasia and i threw in 3 peppermint shrimps and it got rid of them. I haven't seen the shrimp in months

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15382307#post15382307 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sflorlando
So true, I was fighting aptasia and i threw in 3 peppermint shrimps and it got rid of them. I haven't seen the shrimp in months

What size were your aiptasia...do they go after large ones?

I tried aptasia x, pep shrimps, and then added a juvenile cbb to the tank, I made sure it ate before leaving the lfs. I would not buy for that reason alone, I love it's personality, a beautiful fish than can be very delicate. But heck, if you have the space in your tank, they are known to eat aptasia, all the ones I have owned did, not one spec of aptasia 4-5 days later...none....
GL
GL

So i tossed in 3 new small pep shrimp...I am pretty sure my fish ate them lol...

my blood and coral banded are still alive, so I hope these guys made it...I have not seen them at all though...

sigh

You wont see them for awhile. Mine hide under (and in) the rocks and are very hard to spot. My tank is smaller and there is less rockwork than I remember yours having. They will show up in time I'm sure. I would watch for them at night. If you have a red light that works too (fish dont see the red).

Back