Algae? Coating glass and appears dusty when using the Magfloat to clean

Zpmada

Hi all,

I have this dusty possibly algae coating my glass. When I clean it off with the mag float, it appears to be dusty. Is it something to be concerned about? Seems like I need to wipe my glass with the magfloat every 3 days. Is that too quick of a growth? What cleanup crew will take care of this?

I also have one corner section of my sand bed covered in a dusty algae with some hair algae growing, and one lice rock section with hair algae.

I have about 4 red leg hermit crabs several turbo snails in my 55 gallon. Not sure why only 1 corner of sand Bed is impacted while the rest is fine and white. Also have many cerith snails that appear to repopulate on their own.

Attachments

• 20191229_155205.jpg
    20191229_155205.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191229_153304_resized.jpg
    20191229_153304_resized.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191229_152922_resized.jpg
    20191229_152922_resized.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20191229_154738_resized.jpg
    20191229_154738_resized.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi all,

I have this dusty possibly algae coating my glass. When I clean it off with the mag float, it appears to be dusty. Is it something to be concerned about? Seems like I need to wipe my glass with the magfloat every 3 days. Is that too quick of a growth? What cleanup crew will take care of this?

Hi

My guess new tank and its film algae. No need to worry, it will pass with time.
Some types of snails like to work on glass. Pods also feed on film algae.

I also have one corner section of my sand bed covered in a dusty algae with some hair algae growing, and one live rock section with hair algae.

I have about 4 red leg hermit crabs several turbo snails in my 55 gallon. Not sure why only 1 corner of sand Bed is impacted while the rest is fine and white. Also have many cerith snails that appear to repopulate on their own.

It could be a lot of light and lack of flow in that one section.

You might check your nutrient levels. They could be high and be fueling the algae.

Cyano looks like on sand bed; you for sure have some hair algae as well on rocks. Could be your flow dead spot Cyano is a bacteria not an algae - increasing flow in that area I would try first. Hair algae hard to remove and caused by nutrients/phosphates. You can remove hair algae by using Phosphate RX and pulling it out by hand.. Do a search Melevs Reef Hair Algae removal has a good video on this.

Ok I moved my aquaclear to the side to increase flow. I tried to pull the the stuff out on the sand. It almost came off as sheets if I was able to keep it together. Slightly hairy in the darkest spots.

Also removed hair algae by hand and had a couple red hermits in the area. I just added a cpr aqua fudge with chaeto so I'll see if that helps.

I suggest you start with water quality testing for at least NO3 and PO4 levels and adjust your maintenance procedures to keep them within acceptable ranges, i.e., frequent water changes and reduced nutrient reduction. Lots of info on here about water quality and maintenance. Good luck.

Back