Algae control in prop tank

Kenfuzed

I recently set up a prop tank (24x18) linked to my 150g main and 50g sump/fuge. My prop tank only contains sps frags with a 250w MH light. How do others with prop tanks control algae growth?

I've added a second skimmer but was wondering if anyone is using other means to keep things clean (i.e. snails, wrasses, tangs, lettuce nudis).

Yes- Snails (Turbo, Black Turbo, Astra, Margarita, Nassarius) Hermit Crabs (Blue Leg, Cortez, Red Leg) Tangs, Wrasses, Copperband Butterfly (aptasia control)

Does that help?

I know of many people who have urchins in thier prop tanks to help control nuiscence macro algea. Blue tuxedos are small and don't knock over as many frags as larger urchins do.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6508522#post6508522 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jwreffner
What are your phosphate readings? Maybe you need some RowaPhos?
PO4 reads zero, and the prop tank is connected to my main tank which doesn't have any problems with algae. The algae that has formed in the prop tank is minimal but I would like to keep the tank and glass clean.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6511582#post6511582 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by raskal311
razor meets glass :D
:lol: Yeah already doing that but that doesn't take care of the occasional algae I get on the plugs or under the eggcrate

Back