Algae ID

Hello all,

I was curious to know if anyone could ID this algae by eye? Its been in my tank for about a week now and it only stays on the rocks, specifically the rock right under the light (2x 48in current IC marine pro). I can easily blow it off of the rock with a turkey baster but it seems to come back eventually. It is brownish yellow and has some air trapped in it. I can prepare a slide and get a picture from a microscope tomorrow if no one can ID it from the pictures.

Thank you for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3477.jpg
    IMG_3477.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 2
Possibly dinoflagellates, but not sure. Looks more 'blobby' than the ones I had, which were more 'stringy'. There are 1000 strains of dinos, so hard to know for sure. Some are toxic and can kill snails and fish that eat them, but not all.

I think your best bet would be to get some airline tubing and syphon it off the rocks with a water change. Please post your full water parameters as well. Calc, alk, mag as well as pH, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, along with your water change routine and any filtration you are running and if you are using RODI water.

Back