Algae on Substrate

Reeferman1019

Some sort of Green Algae/Red Algae covering my
tank substrate like a carpet. I increased my flow and nitrates, phosphates are in check. Please see pics.

IMG_3234.jpg
IMG_3235.jpg
IMG_3236.jpg
IMG_3237.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should siphon it out and get a watchman goby to help keep the sand clean. Or you can stir up the sand with your hand every day.

You should siphon it out and get a watchman goby to help keep the sand clean. Or you can stir up the sand with your hand every day.

thanks I will siphon all out and look into watchman goby....do you think using some Life Red Slime Remover will help and in the future?

I would hold off on using that. Is this growing on your rocks too or just the sand? If it is just the sand than keeping it stirred up will most likely stop it from growing. Keep the chemicals out of the tank if you can. The watchman goby is not only a hard worker but a really cool fish.

I would hold off on using that. Is this growing on your rocks too or just the sand? If it is just the sand than keeping it stirred up will most likely stop it from growing. Keep the chemicals out of the tank if you can. The watchman goby is not only a hard worker but a really cool fish.

there is a little on my LR, but mostly on my sand bed

I agreed low flow could be part of the problem, but it is not the root of it. Is this the 10 gallon tank with an Aquaclear HOB filter? How long ago did you set it up? Most recent Nitrate & Phosphate levels and please tell us what tester are you using to get readings?

thanks I will siphon all out and look into watchman goby....do you think using some Life Red Slime Remover will help and in the future?

Red Slime Remover will kill your beneficial bacteria too. As others have mentioned, I would siphon it out, check your parameters and your flow. I would also use Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh to help introduce more beneficial bacteria to out-compete the cyano.

Red Slime Remover will kill your beneficial bacteria too. As others have mentioned, I would siphon it out, check your parameters and your flow. I would also use Dr. Tim's Re-Fresh to help introduce more beneficial bacteria to out-compete the cyano.

Sorry Bronze Badger, but I disagreed with your statement. I have used Red Slime Remover following the included instructions and have archive great results in the past. Red Cyano disappears in 24 hours.

Now we have to make clear... The use of this product is a temporary fix, because you still have to get to the root of the problem. And is difficult to pin point his problem because it varies in every tank.

Hopefully will get a reply from Reeferman1019 soon.

I agreed low flow could be part of the problem, but it is not the root of it. Is this the 10 gallon tank with an Aquaclear HOB filter? How long ago did you set it up? Most recent Nitrate & Phosphate levels and please tell us what tester are you using to get readings?

I changed the location of my pump and placed it on "else mode". It's a 10 gallon tank with AQUACLEAR HOB. Tank has been setup since 7/16 but the LR and Water was transferred from a setup back in 4/16 due to a tank leakage. I use API Master Reef and both phosphates and nitrates are in safe zone.

Sorry Bronze Badger, but I disagreed with your statement. I have used Red Slime Remover following the included instructions and have archive great results in the past. Red Cyano disappears in 24 hours.

Now we have to make clear... The use of this product is a temporary fix, because you still have to get to the root of the problem. And is difficult to pin point his problem because it varies in every tank.

Hopefully will get a reply from Reeferman1019 soon.

Not sure what my issue could be, maybe part of a new tank setup? I always due weekly water changes in HOB I have rubble rock and a little tea bag of GFO which is changed out every month

I didn't say the product didn't work, I was just pointing of the potential side effects and suggesting a better alternative.

I didn't say the product didn't work, I was just pointing of the potential side effects and suggesting a better alternative.

That's were I disagree. There is no side effects other than bonding your nutrients to export them efficiently. This product is reef safe. It won't nuke your beneficial bacteria as you described.

Last edited:
@Reeferman1019.

Yes... your tank is fairly new and most likely this is the effect of a nutrient unbalance. It could be what badger said about lower bacteria count.

I would ditch the rubble in the HOB and replace it with a more efficient media. Look for Brightwells X-Port cubes or Siporax.

How many fish are in there? What kind? Any corals?
How many times a days are you feeding?

@Reeferman1019.

Yes... your tank is fairly new and most likely this is the effect of a nutrient unbalance. It could be what badger said about lower bacteria count.

I would ditch the rubble in the HOB and replace it with a more efficient media. Look for Brightwells X-Port cubes or Siporax.

How many fish are in there? What kind? Any corals?
How many times a days are you feeding?

Yes, it could be a lower bacteria count and the tank needs to mature more. I will have to do better maintenance. I did some research on the X-Port cubes and Siporax. With the X-Port they have a few products not sure which one will be the best for me. I only have 2 commom clown fish inside with LPS and Zoas corals. I feed every other day omega one mini pellets. I did do some research and a lot of people use rubble rock in there HOB filters with some carbon and gfo inside.

After reading your last few posts and thinking about your algae trouble. I believe an unbalance on your nitrate-phosphate-carbon is most likely what's going on. .

API PO4 test scale is not good to detect low levels of phosphates. Starts at 0 and jumps to 0.25 and colors are almost similar. I use Red Sea and sometimes double check my value using Hanna.

The cube I recommend is X-port Bio or you can use Siporax. This is just in case if you choose to replace the rubble (optional but most likely unneeded). Rock rubble is fine to use too, but this media has much more surface area for bacteria to colonize.

At this point you can blow you rocks, syphon the algae out, keep doing your WC using as source of 0 TDS RO/DI water and let your system balance out and mature.

Back