Algae resistant glass?

while Id assume this glass COULD exist, Id assume it would have some sort of antialgea additives in it, which also exists for silicone, but it will slowly poison your water...

did you hear about it for fish tanks, or was it for windows or something?

not heard of it in glass for fishtanks, but i've heard of a nanotech-based coating/wrap for the bottom of ships that has a particular microscopic texture to it that help keep stuff from attaching. so it doesn't have to be a chemical poison. though i really can't see that there's enough demand for this sort of glass for a nanotech researcher to work on this rather than something else with more money.

"not heard of it in glass for fishtanks, but i've heard of a nanotech-based coating/wrap for the bottom of ships that has a particular microscopic texture to it that help keep stuff from attaching. so it doesn't have to be a chemical poison. though i really can't see that there's enough demand for this sort of glass for a nanotech researcher to work on this rather than something else with more money."

I think it would be more cost effective to design a little underwater Roomba to constantly go around and clean your glass from algae. Come to think of it...

glass...algae

glass...algae

It may have been the nano tech thing, I wish I'd taken more notice at the time. I have two great slugs that mow it constantly but not crystal clear...

Maybe it had some kind of super slick glazing on the inside of the glass so the algae couldnt stick to it?

Im sure some type of clear anti-algae glass-surface can be created; There are already various types of medical and industrial coatings against biofilms. (for med. prosthesis, ships....) I just dont think there is such a demand in aquariumkeeping. YET ;)

I gor this mail from Larry Jordan (Nanovic):-
Pilkington produces a glass called Pilkington Activ and there is a product called Tank Guard â€"œ www.tankguard.org Also NanoES www.nanoes.com.au or www.greenmillennium.com have a suitable product. They are all based on oxidation of the algae by free radicals produced by the action of UV light on the coating, hence a UV source is necessary â€"œ some metal halide lights produce some UV, so may be suitable to activate the coating. I would be interested to hear if you decide to try any of these products.
Has anyone experience with these ?

So, I'm going to revive this 13 year old discussion because I stumbled across a product but can't find a single review for it anywhere. It's supposedly a transparent nano coating specifically designed for aquarium glass, creating a super slick surface that stuff can't stick to or grow on. They claim it is completely fish safe. If it really does all these things, I imagine it would prevent algae growth on the glass (no more scraping?!?), and could possibly also prevent or reduce salt creep and hard water stains. Impossible? Maybe. Has anyone heard of someone actually using something like this? Is anyone crazy enough to try it?

Link: Percenta Nano Coating for Aquariums

Back