algae??

AEreefer

In Memoriam
i recently had some problems with my 125 so i basically took all the old nasty anerobic sand out and scrubbed all rock, livestock was in my 55g refug and i did a 125g water change. all new sand and a coralife 220 needlewheel skimmer have been added since. i am getting back this brown slimy algae on the sand. i think i had dinoflagelates(sp?) before but this dosent have bubbles, although it does come back full force in a day if i stirr it up. will an algae blenny take care of this? queen konch? cucumbers? sand sifter stars? nassarius snails??

Nothing will eat that. Its common in new tanks but you need to solve the problem of why it forming. Are you doing regular water changes and usng ro/di water?

this tank has been setup for 7 months. ive had brown diatom and turbos take care of it quickly, turbos arent touching this. i just recently cleaned all the rock and did a big water change. water changes consist of 30g weekly, and i have my own ro/di unit.

Not sure of the rock's situation but do you see a lot of rock shedding or debris settling on the sand? How about flow? How much flow do you have in the tank?

algae picture

algae picture

this is the culprit.
post-3592-1137616270.jpg

i do see some debris. i usually flush my rock with a turky baster weekly and then vaccume debris out of my refug which is bare bottom. for flow i have a 700gph pump on one side and a return line on the other side going at about 900 gph.

dinoflagelates are toxic to snails if they eat it they will die,
make sure your alk is high, you're at the high end of your [ph scale, and stop water changes untill it is gone.
use carbon but make sure it is good quality carbon that wont leach phosphates in to the water.

but it could be cyno or diatoms which have to be controlled in completely different ways.

Back