Algal genus Spotlight: Bryopsis "hair algae"

Is this the same thing we are talking about?
hairalgeintank004.jpg

This stuff is everywhere! What is this stuff taking over my shrooms?
hairalgeintank008.jpg

I would like to get rid of it. Any help?

Any tips on manual removal in the tank?

I can pull off strands easily enough, but getting that last quarter inch that covers the rocks is hard. Toothbrush wasn't doing much, I don't think the bristles were stiff enough.

Doesn't help that a surly female clownfish has decided to bit the hand that feeds her now.

My manual removal is a little different for each area of the tank. I try to let it keep growing on the coast-to-coast overflow and back glass as long as possible until it's hideous. Then the razor blade emerges from the frag kit and I take huge patched all at once with the water drained below this to not let any strands loose.

On rocks that are fairly smooth, I literally use 100-200grit sandpaper. Works like a charm and it's usually gone for good on smoother surfaces or until it reseeds there again.

On rough rock, I've just become accustomed to some residual algae and try choking it with other algae in the lagoon and controlled feedings. It's definitely a balance. After I go on biz travel or vacation for a week, I usually have to fight algae for about 4-8 weeks after due to not as controlled feedings with pellets.

Regardless if you like HA or not, at least you know that your system is fairly healthy if HA is growing. Your not starving your reef and just have a minor imbalance of input versus output. Try not to sweat it and do the best you can with controlled feedings, PO4 testing/GFO changes & the occassional pruning session. It took me nearly 5 months, but I erradicated majano only by persistence.

If I showed you my nano, you would see what could happen w/o persistence and this attention. That's a whole other matter though.....:wildone:

Good tips, thanks guys.

Magnesium levels are up to 1500ppm. I should be around 1850 in three weeks if it continues to increase at the same rate. Can't say I've seen much of a difference in growth yet.

I've started a vodka regimen as well, I successfully beat a nasty case of cyanobacteria with that method two years ago, so I figured it was worth a shot. I've also been paying closer attention to pH and alkalinity levels. At the very least, my corals are looking happy.

Good tips, thanks guys.

Magnesium levels are up to 1500ppm. I should be around 1850 in three weeks if it continues to increase at the same rate. Can't say I've seen much of a difference in growth yet.

I've started a vodka regimen as well, I successfully beat a nasty case of cyanobacteria with that method two years ago, so I figured it was worth a shot. I've also been paying closer attention to pH and alkalinity levels. At the very least, my corals are looking happy.

I'm not buying into the high Mg level decreasing algae growth. Mine has been hovering around 1620-1680ppm due to the higher level of the IO I have been using for the past couple years. Let us know if a decline with the Tech M, but I still don't think it is a cure unless you control the balance of input vs. output.

What is "the higher level of the IO" that you're referring to?

It took me about a month to get from normal saltwater levels up to 1500, so I'd be interested to hear how you're maintaining it that high. I've been specifically avoiding water changes because they would quickly lower my magnesium levels and set me backwards.

Also from what I've read on that other forum, folks are speculating that it isn't actually the magnesium, but some other trace element (maybe copper) present in the Kent-M that is detrimental to the bryopsis.

This morning I switched from the Seachem magnesium dose at 25g (raising 25ppm daily) to the Kent liquid stuff. Starting the dose at 50ml, double what they suggest, which should raise levels 36.6ppm per day. I'm going to maintain that for a week and increase it again if I don't see any negative effects. I will probably start testing daily as well. I was at 1500ppm on Sunday.

What is "the higher level of the IO" that you're referring to?

It took me about a month to get from normal saltwater levels up to 1500, so I'd be interested to hear how you're maintaining it that high. I've been specifically avoiding water changes because they would quickly lower my magnesium levels and set me backwards.

Also from what I've read on that other forum, folks are speculating that it isn't actually the magnesium, but some other trace element (maybe copper) present in the Kent-M that is detrimental to the bryopsis.

Purely performing WC with IO is how it has been at that level. I perform a 2% WC every other day and the IO has a Mg level of somewhere around 1700ppm the last time I checked. This is an old pallet of IO from a couple years back from my last bulk purchase. If you go back to 2009-2010, you'll see a sporatic burst of threads from high Mg & alk in IO. Since I don't do a massive WC, I'm not too concerned with the elevated levels, except that Mg hasn't fallen in some time since I switched to BRS Ca pellets. Seems the corals don't absorb as much Mg with the change to the BRS CaCl pellets compared to the previous Dow product.

As for adding huge quantities of TechM and potentially another element, which you are not testing for, seems like a bad idea. Why risk poisoning everything in the tank for the sake or q quick fix? Remember, you corals have algae constituents too.

Ah, IO = Instant Ocean. Got it.

Why risk poisoning everything in the tank for the sake or q quick fix?

Couple reasons:

1. If I don't defeat this algae, the tank isn't worth keeping.
2. I need to eradicate it before I can move corals to a new tank.
3. Nothing else has worked for me.
4. People have reported this method works.

I've been ramping up magnesium levels at a much slower pace specifically to observe and prevent any harmful effects, so not too worried about that.

Anyway, day two of the Kent and the bryopsis has lot a lot of color, starting to appear gray. And it almost appears to have lost some of the characteristic "feathering". I'm going to do some manual removal tonight to see if it feels different or weakened.

Last edited:
So far, if anything, my corals have appeared much more vibrant since I started this regimen. The daily attention has resulted in testing a number of other variants, and making some adjustments to the pH, alkalinity and calcium as well.

Magnesium tested at 1700ppm, up from 1500ppm on the 23rd. That is rising about twice as fast as I had previously been targeting, and most of it is probably from within the past two days when I switched to the Kent liquid additive and upped the dosage to 50ml.

Pulling out some of the bryopsis, I noticed that the stalks had become clear. The strands, which normally resemble feathers, had grouped together, giving it the "gloopy" appearance I had noticed earlier today. Interestingly, only the patches directly under one of my lights and somewhat out of the primary flow from the Vortech are showing this. Another patch appears as it always has.

I'm not quite sure where to go now. I don't want to go too far past 1700ppm, but this is also the first visible sign of the algae weakening. I might skip tomorrow's dose and observe what happens to the algae and the levels.

Anyone ID this algae that choking zoas?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1345684277483.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1345684277483.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 4
I may have finally had success treating Bryopsis. After raising Mg (via Kent or Brightwell) to 1800, I have a continuous Mg drip via a peristaltic pump 24/7 to maintain that level, Bryopsis has disappeared without a reoccurrence in 6 months, no ill effects on livestock

What about rocks that cannot be taken out of the tank?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

I have not removed anything from the DT. In the past, after treating with Kent/Brightwell Mg the Bryopsis went away, only to return even with Mg dosing weekly. However with continuous Mg dosing it has not returned. There may be some benefit in a continuous Mg drip after raising the level.

I own a 22G and 2 years old reef aquarium. I had the Bryopsis plague more or less under control until a great bloom last week. I have tried Salarias blenny and a Diadema setosum sea urchin before and nothing happened. I may try a small Zebrasoma for some weeks or a pinkcushion Mespilia globulus ( i had one long ago and seemed to feed on them but grew so big)

I have a couple of tiny gobies and an Alpheus soror so....no feeding at all. My NO3 and PO4 levels are almost null. 480 ppm of calcium and 1500 ppm of magnesium. My KH hardness decreased to 6 for some days. Could it be the cause of the algae bloom? I dose TheraP and Special Blend from Microbe Lift every week. Algae are damaging lower parts of some Acropora and Galaxea and covering some Zooanthus and Palythoa. I rum a Turboflotor 500 from TMC skimmer, LED illumination and a 250 gallons per hour pump.

Should i try a yellow tang? i know where to relocate it after the work is done.

Any other advise? I dont mind trying animals or Caulerpa....or whatever. Do not want to re-start my tank again. I dont know if my own problem is from nutrients or any chemical.

Thank you guys!

Back