Algal genus Spotlight: Bryopsis "hair algae"

:D I think I'm winning! All Lettuce Nudis are not created equal. I got 2 and one is a eating machine and the other is usually on the glass.

tank-vi.jpg

I have heard reports of people using boiling RO water, applied to the problem area with a syringe. I have been told that this has a two fold effect of killing the majority of the algae due to both the heat and the fresh water, and the fact that it becomes more palatable to herbivorous fish in this state. Has anyone heard of this method being successfull?

At various stages, I have had my whole tank virtually full of bryopsis, and through a process of manual removal and addition of a rabbit fish, I have it down to 2 smallish patches. I have no problem at at with any other algae, my Acantharus mata takes care of everything else, but the bryopsis persists, which is why I am considering using the boiling water method.

Boiled Bryopsis

Boiled Bryopsis

Would you remove the rock and then treat the Bryopsis or treat it in the tank? I do not think dosing the algea in the tank could produce enough heat to do any good.

How about manually removing and scrubing the rock then treating the growth areas with boiling water? How about mixing some amount of bleach with the water and then soaking rock in a bucket treated with chlorine remover?

My tank is about 75% inundated. I am ready to throw all my rock away and start over.

I got to the point where I was going to take my entire tank apart and start again as well, but I removed the pieces of affected rock, and scrubbed them with a scrubbing brush in a bucket and replaced them, which seemed to do the trick. The only reason I dont want to take the remaining pieces out and clean them, is that they are pivotal pieces of the reef structure, and cant be taken out without taking the whole structure apart.

get an algae / lawnmower blenny... mine is obese. I'm not kidding. I think I am abusing the poor fish; he has a huuuuge gut.

You cant type this and not show us pics of your overweight lawnmower blenny!!!

- g

Last edited:
can anyone tell me what this is?

can anyone tell me what this is?

This came on a rock that I got at my LFS that had lots of zo's on it. Since then it has spread like crazy.:strooper:

A few weeks ago I dismantled my entire reef for the first cleaning in 25 years. I put the rock in the dark for a week and cleaned the gravel with 12 cleanings with a large diatom filter. All is well now and everything is back. The details are on the post
"just cleaned thirty year old tank" in the reef section.

I bought two algae blennys and they d'ont seem to be picking on the stuff only the algae on the glass so i what i did is took some of my rock that had been covered with Bryopsis and frist scrubed it off with a hard brush and then i mixed up a batch of kalkwasser and brushed it all over the infected area i soaked it real good then i dunked it in old or fresh sea water and back in to the tank so far the spots that i treated no sign of Bryopsis its been four days now the only draw back to this plan is i have some rocks that are on the the bottom and to remove them would mean to take the whole tank apart so for those i am still looking for help if there is any i would gladly wellcome some.

Elysia Viridis Sea Slug

Elysia Viridis Sea Slug

So I visited the Sea Slug forum and they told me that the Elysia Viridis Sea Slug mows down bryopsis. The only problem is that I can't seem to find anyone who sells this sea slug. It is related to the lettuce nudibranch, but much much more effective in removing that nasty weed. Does anybody know of a source for these critters?

Joe_Bui you are correct about the lettuce slug I have over 100 of them and they do not eat anything. I even have some about 4" long. They are multiplying like crazy. They will sit on algae and they may even sleep on it but if you are waiting for them to eat it, forget it.

OK this is i guess for people who's rock is just got patches of BRYOPSIS growing on it. when my 265 sprang a leak and had to replace it 85% of the rock was coverd with the stuff i kept the rocks that had no algae on them the ones on the bottom when i put them back they started to grow BRYOPSIS but oniy in small patches algae blennys did'nt eat it i had an idea i took out one peice to test my idea i pick off the algae then scrub it and then i mixed up a some KALKWASSER took a small paint brush and brushed on the area were the BRYOPSIS was growing let it sit for minute and did it again then rinse it in salt water and back in the tank for the had to get to spots i got in with a piplet and so far so good its been about two months and no signs of any BRYOPSIS the reason i said about this method is not for everyone is if you cover to much of the rock with kalkwasser you will kill all the life on it . for what its worth this has worked there is NO BRYOPSISin my tank.CARL

I have a ton of bryopsis in my tank.

Recently finished cycling the tank and turned on all my halides. Most of the bryopsis turned into these slimey gooey yellow snot strands. Is that reproduction or death? It seems to be regrowing little shoots all over the tank again.

Kinda frustrating. I have never fed any food since I only have a lawnmower blenny. Running a euroreef skimmer and a macroalgae fuge (gracillaria and ulva). RODI topoff and Instant Ocean salt mix. Nutrients are definitely a net export. But this stuff is spreading.

Some Ideas

Some Ideas

OK, it may make you shutter, but I took out the rock that first showed hair and did a chlorox bath and scrub. I rinsed VERY well and did a few fresh water soaks. The last I used a heavy dose of de-chlorinator and put it back in the tank> Nothing happened to fish or corals.

I have noticed that most who have severe outbreaks have huge flows. The flows spread the algae faster so I think flow is a great contributor. If one tries to pick it, it gets worse. I don't think picking makes much sense...unless it's done by a Tang.

Fuge competition, Tang, UV sterilizer (for waterborn part.), reduced direct flow, and quick (and in my case...insane) action are my suggestions.

OK my 2 cents. This thread looks to be dwindling but it is a great thread with a subject we all will encounter eventually.

By my own hand I created a hair algae problem. I had placed a piece of foam under my pump to quiet it down. It slowly released phosphates into the water.

I also was trying to trap a Mantis Shrimp and left my bait ( a hunk of shrimp) in too long. Suddenly HAIR ALGAE.

The outbreak was nothing like the pics others had sent up but having a tank years ago that was overrun with it I knew what lay around the corner for me.

A trip to Gerbers in Dayton, Oh. and a lengthy chat with their youngest and possibly brightest employee changed my mind from the lawnmower Blenny to a Rabbitfish (Siganus doliatus)

45342siganus_doliatus34996.jpg

He sent my home with 2 Rabbitfish, 6 Conch, and a Yellow Tang that I wanted because it was pretty.

Also in my tank already are 15 turbosnails a brittle star and tens of thousands of unidentified critters.

My cleanup crew was in place.

It has been a week now and they have cleared out every form of plant life in the tank. I had several types of Algae that I wanted in there (and will grow back)

I also have a healthy growth of calurpa in my fuge and dropped one of the wife kneehighs loaded with a phosphate remover in my main overflow.

I can tell you honestly that the Rabbitfish and Conch WILL eat every bit of algae in your tank.

One note: They didn't seem to like the hair algae if it is too long so I removed rocks with the longest growth on them, scrubbed them with a brush and rinsed them under tank water that I discarded afterward.

I never really let it get out of hand but as you can see in the pic that crew mowed down to the stalk all algae in there.

45342100_0420.jpg

Good luck with your endeavors!

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I think that's the key with the rabbit fish. The algae can not be too long or they will not eat it. I've brushed down all my rock and just got the exact fish you have in my tank. I am hoping that he will polish off the little nubs of algae as it starts to grow.

Got my fingers crossed...

Joe

Yea if its about 1/8 inch or shorter it will never get a hold in there again. I have seen them pull out hunks of the longer stuff but its rare.

My Yelllow tang is also great at picking at the shorter stuff.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Jeff

Back