Alkalinity 14.1 Constant

RevJDA

Premium Member
I have been concerned about my alkalinity number. It stays at 14.1 using a Hanna Alkalinity Tester. I have done large water changes but it remains at 14.1 consistently. The pH is 8.0. Ca+ is 400. Phosphate and K+ are low and Nitrate is less than barely measurable.

I have reviewed posts here. I live alone with 2 cats and one dog. Otherwise, my house is pretty shut up but has good ventilation.

I have debated lowering it with vinegar but that seems extreme to me.

What can you suggest?

Unless you're adding something, alkalinity is pretty much determined by the salt you use.

Not sure of the ventilation comment. If you're referring to carbon dioxide buildup, that affects ph not alkalinity.

What salt are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Believe that salt mixes to 11.5 at 33ppt. I'd test with another kit to make sure it's an accurate reading you're getting.

Have had bad/expired kits that tested high before.

Believe that salt mixes to 11.5 at 33ppt. I'd test with another kit to make sure it's an accurate reading you're getting.

Have had bad/expired kits that tested high before.

I don't use a test kit. I have a Hanna Alkalinity meter.

Get your readings double checked to verify. Reagent expires and there have been bad batches before.

Has anything changes with your testing (new reagents, syringe, new vial etc.)?

Few thing more frustrating than making corrections to your system only to find out they weren't needed.

Back