Alkalinity (part 1 of 2 part) precipitating?

Orsamax

Hey all. My calcium is high (as per red-sea test kit) at approximately 500, but my alk is 7dkh. I've been trying to raise the alk to be more balanced with the calcium. Has anyone seen their alk (part 1) precipitate immediately upon adding it to a high flow area? I put it in with my return pump chamber and it appear milky at first (I expect that) then it seems to clump up and turn into precipitate in the chamber before it even reaches the pump. Is this normal?

Had been using Kalk but found that it wasn't meeting the demands of my clam and sps so I wanted to switch to 2 part. thanks.

It needs to be added very slowly (drops)....If you want to eliminate the problem completely use sodium bicarbonate rater than sodium carbonate for alkalinity

How and when this happens will depend greatly on what you're using for 2-part. ESV alkalinity, in particular, is far more concentrated than the standard sodium bicarbonate/carbonate DIY buffers. As outssider noted, sodium bicarbonate is a little less likely to precipitate calcium carbonate, and can generally be added as a bolus dose.

All, thank you for your responses. Looking into getting a doser to do 1ml at a time instead of 2-4. (prepares for the backfire) looking at a jaebo as that is all I can afford at this time. Is it terrible and completely not worth it? Going to be gone for a few weeks for work and not sure the wife is up to "dripping" it in a few times a day.

What is your magnesium level? Low Mag will cause precipitation. Mag needs to be 1250 or higher.

I don't think there's a problem. The dosing probably is doing well enough. Many tanks go through 2-3 dKH per day.

Sorry for the slow response. I was traveling and didn't have the expected Internet connectivity.

Back