all of my fish are dying!

I used a Formalin dip with limited success and I think Copper is useless for Marine Velvet. This stuff is brutal, worse than ich! I lost 3 fish but my Betta and Fairy Wrasse were not phased for some reason. You have to wait 6-8 weeks before adding any new fish. It also can be transferred by inverts! I'm keeping a few bio balls in my sump so I can use them to set up a quarantine tank when needed versus keeping one running all the time.. I will be quarantining all new fish from now on.

I think you're off by a factor of two given that H<sub>2</sub>O<sub>2</sub> weighs about twice as much as water. ppm is a unit of weight ratios, not volume.

Hmm, you may be right...

Molar mass of H2O = 18.01528 g/mol
Molar mass of H2O2 = 34.0147 g/mol

More calculations may be in order.

On the plus side, I never knew that the forum would support subscripts. Learned something new.

into 4 gallons. the fish finished the dip and is not breathing heavy anymore. it seems ok although is still sitting on the bottom. I just wanted to get rid of the stuff.

This thread is both fascinating and educational. Schudini and Bertoni [sounds like a wine label] thank you for your contributions.

Cside, please posts follow-ups this afternoon or tomorrow.

Can anyone post the cause or origin of velvet?

Thank you,

kevin

I have no idea where the velvet came from. I havent added a fish in months. Just corals. The only fish left is the same firefish. It looks a little better but I still don't know if it will survive. I really hope he makes it he was my first fish :eek: I have lost a purple firefish, a harptail blenny, and a bicolor blenny.

I feel your pain I recently lost all my fish 3 weeks ago to velvet. From what I've read, anything wet can introduce velvet. So adding corals could have certainly introduced it to your tank. Only certain way I've read, and been advised by John, to get rid if it is to leave tank fishless 4-6 weeks after the last fish dies. Good luck.

the last firefish is still alive. I am thinking it will pull through. Thanks to all for your advice. I do not know what to do about equipment and the like. I just spent hundreds of dollars on new lighting and a skimmer. I think I may get rid of the lr and sand just to be safe

I wouldnt go that far, It would make more sense to just let the tank remain fishless for an extended period and then restock.

Back