Am I right by NOT QT'ing this fish? (leopard wrasse)

I never Quarantine fish.I know you should but I don't.I have had fish die on me but I have never had ich in my old 150 gal reef.I have had fish die on me in my new 300 but no disease or ich issues.Half the time I don't even drip them.I do float the bag and plop them in.I do drip inverts or any animal that is very sensitive to salinity changes.I bought some fish yesterday.koran angel,some starfish,fireshrimp,and a powder blue tang.I was dripping all of them in a bucket but after about 5 minutes I placed the powder blue in the tank because he was stressed.He did better in the tank than the bucket.If you see the fish is freaking out in the bucket you are better off placing him in the tank where at least he can hide.there or in your sump where he can calm down.

I'm not a big quarantiner either. I put any additions in my Fuge for a few days. They get to fatten up and relax. If they would show any bad signs I can easily get to them.

I will be QT'ing my leopard wrasse in the future. Lost my 125 and $500 in fish to Ich. Those that don't QT, will after they have to battle Ich (or get they get out of the hobby).

A large bin with sand should work. Probably will be getting decent sized leopard that eats at the LFS and feed lots and lots of brine/mysis/krill etc in QT. I'm not sure about a full 4 week treatment, but I think observe really closely for 3 weeks. He won't starve in that time period.

I don't quarantine anything and my fish are fine. Lost a baby clown that wouldn't eat, but that's about it. I'm about at my stocking level anyway (I think) with 1 clownfish (although I would like to add another so he's not lonely), a flame angel, a pyjama fish, a goby and a wrasse. I don't think I will be adding any more fish to that blend as its only a 55g tank. I have shrimps and snails and crabs too. Another half dozen corals and I will FINALLY be able to sit back and just enjoy it.

And clean it

And do water changes

and worry about it

Well I guess call me lucky, but I QT'd maybe half of my fish... even then it was never for a full 4 weeks,, If the fish looks healthy, is eating,, it gets acclimated and goes in....

I'd say, if it looks healthy, why give it more stress, acclimate it well, and drop it in!!

Why not place a large flat tupperware container fill it with sand and place this in your QT. It will help to train the wrasse to eat frozen and allow you to medicate it if neccessary (just throw away the sand later if you do).

Back