Ammonia is converted to how much nitrite, and nitrate?

See we all screwed up somewhere :lol:

What's that saying....?

Oh yeah... Two wrongs don't make a right!

Yah lost me ;) He never asked until his last post about his tank which I did not reply to till now. I get the same answer for 150 gal as you did

This, is for 8 l of water with one tang

So,
...............= 0.25 mg Ammonia / l /day

.25 x 2.7 = 0.675 mg Nitrite/ l day

.25 x 3.6 = 0.90 mg Nitrate / l / day

and this .003333, is .0033 mg / l/day ammonia, for 1 tang in 150 gal tank

Did I miss something ?

think we nailed it for a 150gal

Yes :D that looks right, if we did not screw-up. 0.119 mg nitrate just does not sound high enough for 10 tangs. Of coruse we are going by that data.

Here is another one for you, the Meade equation

R x bimass x Ni x Nu x Ne = NH4-N 24 hr/ l

R= food added / 24 hr as % total body mass

Ni = deitary protein-N level

Nu = protein utilization factor

Ne = % total N excreted as NH4-N

For a salmon;

Food input 2 %, biomass 10kg fish, dietary protein level 20 %(3.2%), protein utilization 40%, excreted nitrogen 90 % and assuming protein is 16 % N

.02 x 10 kg x .032 x .40 x .9 = . 115 kg NH4-N / 24 hr

"Yes that looks right, if we did not screw-up. 0.119 mg nitrate just does not sound high enough for 10 tangs. Of coruse we are going by that data."

Well ok, so my brain hurts but were getting somwhere!

Fwiw, Habib stated that 55-95% of all fish food ends up as N in the aquarium. So that may be correct. If we could remove all organic material, then maybee fish dont produce so much ammonia, but their fecal matter does. After bacteria convert it.

WOW !!!

Randy if you get a chance look in your Spotte, Seawater Aquariums, page 153

02 x 10 kg x .032 x .40 x .9 = . 115 kg NH4-N / 24 hr

I did not work this out when I posted it, it was an example from Spotte. Today I decided to test the levels for this salmon 22 lbs and a tang in a 150 gal. As soon as I plugged in the tang, assuming the above values, I assumed something was very wrong ! I should have been keyed by the kg of ammonia N, .115 kg is 115,000 mg / day or a 22lb salmon putting out 1/4 pound of ammonia N / day !!

That answer above worked out is .002304 and not .115. Spotte is not even close. Do you see anything wrong or I missed or is it Spotte just screw up. It is pretty plain in the text. That would make the salmon 2304 mg NH4-N/24hr, conversion to Ammonia ion .2304 x 1.2 = 2764.8 mg Ammonia/24hr. !!

I haven't had a chance to follow the details of this thread with work very busy and an article due yesterday, but I am certain that a salmon does not put out 1/4 pound of ammonia in a day. 2.7 grams sounds a lot more realistic based on the amount of food it could consume. :D

Back