An experiment to definitive treatment of AEFW

Pete_the_Puma

******** DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any loss of corals/fish/inverts caused by anyone trying this method, try at your won risk *****************

******** Also: be careful with the levamisole hydrochloride: It's use as an adulterant for cocaine has resulted in some cases of "Levamisole induced necrosis syndrome", might be wise to wear a mask ************

Hi all,

I have decided to devise a little experiment to attempt a different way for permanent in-tank AEFW treatment.

I have been battling AEFW for the last 2 weeks or so, they have probably been in there longer but I only finally diagnosed the tank about 2 weeks ago.

A little background: I have a 7 month old 65G SPS reef. Had a number of frags and things were going great, amazing colors and slow but steady growth. I run zeovit and was a little on the OCD side with testing: daily ALK, every other day phos and nitrate and weekly calcium and mag, monthly potassium.

About 1 month ago I started noticing some corals had worsened polyp extension and my ALK started to be used up much much slower, growth also seemed to slow but that is a little harder to determine. What really bugged me is my creeping ALK depsite cutting back on the two part I was using, telling me alk was not being used up as fast and basically meaning growing had slowed.

Long story short I finally pulled out some of the frags that were not encrusted and dipped them: AEFW :mad2:

So after reading a ton of threads here, including:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2027706

which I highly recommend, I decided to try something a little different.

With a background in biochemistry and now work in the medical field I though there must be a way to outsmart those little f**kers. I think the problem is we had been using one of our tools wrong: Levasmisole

It turns out Levamisole is a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist, which basically means it binds to the interface between nerves and muscles, permanently turning muscles "on" causing paralysis. Kind of like Sarin gas for humans.

Now I am not a pharmacist and cannot tell you why (or even if) this agent seems to be more specific towards the little worms, and why it does not cause paralysis in fish at commonly used doses (see that thread) like 5g levamisole/300g saltwater but that definitely seems to be the case based on empirical data.

It also seems from reading though previous threads that the worms are paralyzed at that dose, but not killed and usually get eliminated by "turkey basting" and predators. Worms dipped in this solution have been observed to "come back to life" up to 48hrs later, showing they were moslty just paralyzed not actually dying. Unlike humans and the sarin gas where even relative brief paralysis causes death from asphyxiation.

The problem in my opinion is that previous treatments had been sporadic, basically lowering the population but not frequent enough to kill all adults worms and not treating the eggs.

Not much is actually known about the AEFW life cycle and anyone giving you any kind of "eggs hatch in 7 days" data is simply talking out of their a**.

There is actually some real research going on into these buggers but as far as I know we have zero results yet.

see:
http://166.78.194.232/forums/showthread.php?t=2346292

So here is my hypothesis:

"Maintaining a low but steady concentration of levamisole in the aquarium over long periods of time will cause permanent paralysis of adult AEFWs and eventually death through starvation or predatory attack."

Obviously there are many unknowns here:

1. What is the optimal "low concentration" that paralyzes the AEFWs but does not cause harm to any other inhabittants?

2. How long to cause complete elimination of all AEFWs and hatching of the eggs and paralysis and finally death of offspring?

3. What are the kinetics of levamisole in an aquarium, how is it degraded/eliminated from the system?

What we do know is that concentrations around 5g/300gal and even sometimes much higher have been observed with no significant harm to most inhabitants.

So here is my experiment. I had previously dosed the tank with 1.4 grams and 2.5 grams of levamisole with no ill effects on other tankmates, plenty of paralyzed worms coming off the corals at that second dose.

I will now try a "steady" infusion of levamisole into my system.

I have dissolved roughly 48g of Prohibit (which would equal to 43.2g of Levamisole Hydrocholride) that I had left from the previous treatments into 480 mL of saltwater creating a solution of 0.1g/mL of Levamisole (well technically 0.1g/mL of prohibit and 0.9 of levamisole but close enough).

I will dose the current solution with an automatic pump at the rate of 1mL per hour, for a total of 2.4g per day. This solution should last me for 20 days.

I will keep observing the tank and lower the dose and do a water change at any sign of trouble. I am leaving everything on except the carbon.

Lets kills some flatworms!

Pete

Last edited:
Update:

Well i guess I found the dose that is toxic to other inhabitants...

After about 16 hours of the infusion this morning things did not look good.

All fish hiding, tang swimming like it is drunk, all hermits immobilized and a lot of snails on sand bed not moving. Shrimps are immobilized. Corals look great with full polyp extension even on those corals that had worms/poor polyp extension before.

I immediately stopped the infusion and started carbon through an active canister. 20% water change.

About 1 hour later things are starting to look better. Mandarin is out grazing like nothing ever happened. Other fish are slowly coming out and no longer look "drunk" but still not back to full activity.

The problem is we really have no idea into the kinetics of Levamisole. How is it eliminated from the aquarium, if at all, in the absence of activated carbon. This is very important because it is now hard to say if the 16 hour infusion of 1.6g was in a way additive to the previous dose the day before of 2.5g (bolus), which I am guessing it was.

I think I will let things calm down and attempt another, lower rate, infusion in 3-4 days.

I have been thinking about the theory a lot and this makes more and more sense.

The same way when humans take antibiotics, you don't want to take all your pills at once for fear of toxicity, but you also don't want to just pop one every 3 days as it will not achieve sustained therapeutic concentrations in most cases. A lot of antibiotics are not bactericidal but bacteriostatic meaning they just inhibit growth or replication of the bacteria and let the organism take care of the rest. When cattle take levimasole it paralyzes the worms in they GI tract and they simply poop the worms out, it does not actually kill the worms.

There must be a therapeutic window for Levamisole in the saltwater aquarium, a dose/concentration that paralyzes the worms but does not affect the fish/inverts. We know from empirical observations such a concentration exits with single dosing of the agent (roughly 5gm/300gal) the challenge is going to be to achieve and maintain this concentration for a longer period of time.

If anyone has any ideas into how to measure levamisole concentrations in saltwater that would be great. I do not think such an assay exists even for cattle or humans (where levamisole was tried in the 80's for various conditions) and so I do not think we will have one for the saltwater.

After some more reading it seems like the toxic dose is known in freshwater aquaria:

see:
http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

"The LD-50 (the lethal dose of a compound for 50% of animals exposed) of Levamisole HCl is 250 mg/l per 24 hours"

Which would equate to 0.95g per Gallon
So in my roughly 85 Gallon system that would mean roughly 80g per 24 hours. We are well below that so it seems toxic doses are lower in saltwater systems.

Lets try this again once the dust settles.

P

Last edited:
Well the recommended dose in freshwater is

2mg/L
roughly
8mg/Gal

or roughly

640mg for my 80 Gallon ish water volume. That seems very low, 0.64 grams.

I will try this dose per 24 hours next time I start the infusion, basically 0.1g every 4 hours. It also seems like the Levamisole HCL molecule is light sensitive, might explain why fish did poorly overnight in the dark.

I will continue educating myself about this agent, there must be a way!

P

Remove all dead worms to prevent them releasing poison into your tank.
I won the war of killing them , they got me back by killing everything in my tank.

I have heard of toxic reactions from massive death of the "Planarian" variety of flatworms, I have yet to read a single account of toxin release from dying AEFW, I think they are two different species. It would be unusual I think to have enough biomass in terms of AEFW to cause toxicity from dye off.

I might be wrong.

As someone getting back into SPS after 6 years away, this stuff is exciting to see happening. I am actually a bit shocked that no cure has been found for these little bastards yet. AEFW seems almost like the HIV of SPS tanks.

Horace, it's possible that you can fairly easily treat for aefw and rid them of the system, you can't treat big and rid it from your system so that's kind of much but I definatly understand what you mean.

Pete the puma, I wish you luck! As I am sure a lot of other do as well :)

Horace, it's possible that you can fairly easily treat for aefw and rid them of the system, you can't treat big and rid it from your system so that's kind of much but I definatly understand what you mean.

Pete the puma, I wish you luck! As I am sure a lot of other do as well :)
Yeah it's possible to beat aefw if you QT the corals, but chopping all across from the rocks and setting up qt is not exactly "easy". As far as I can tell, there has yet to be any consistent success of any in tank treatment, and setting up a whole diff tank and or dipping large colonies is beyond difficult

Yes HIV is a bit over the top, but I think u get the point. Most things like this get solved somewhat quickly. AEFW on the other hand are persistent little bastards.

Funny how we used to think red bugs were the end of an SPS tank....

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

We can beat aefw by just dipping from the tank, but yea I get what your saying.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Any update?

Any update?

Hello,

I have been following both threads for over a year I have seen damages they cuase to 500+ gallon systems. I have a great fear of this worms in my new build. I had a successful sps tank before upgrade. I am amazed that unlocking a treatment has been so long. That said I have seen Levamisole on use as my local area seems to have a fairly decent outbreak. I agree with your theory and think once dosage is figured out it will be successful. I do have concerns if Levamisole have a decay cycle or is it permanent? If permanent does it bind to rocks.

Thx for research.

Well the recommended dose in freshwater is

2mg/L
roughly
8mg/Gal

or roughly

640mg for my 80 Gallon ish water volume. That seems very low, 0.64 grams.

I will try this dose per 24 hours next time I start the infusion, basically 0.1g every 4 hours. It also seems like the Levamisole HCL molecule is light sensitive, might explain why fish did poorly overnight in the dark.

I will continue educating myself about this agent, there must be a way!

P

Acro crabs, arrow crabs, peppermint shrimp, damsels, wrasses will all eat them in an aquarium if they can get to them. I had a potters wrasse that would gobble them up instantly if I could turkey baste them into the water column. Some think that red bugs keep them at bay - many people have had AEFW outbreaks after they intercepted their red bugs.

I posted about the longevity of Levamisole in the tank and RHF and Boomer (I think) both opined that it was unlikely that the compound would stay stable in the tank for more than a day and some would start to break down pretty quickly. On one of the last of my treatments, I just left it in the tank with no carbon or anything and all of the inhabitants were fine.

I'm just putting my anecdotal experience with peppermint shrimp here, in case anybody wants to go with what I believe is a safer route..
I have had a clear and documented but minor infestation of aefw.
After reading in one of Oldude's totm articles that he added an army of peppermint shrimp to his system after seeing aefw, and effectively eradicating them, I did the same.
After they eradicated my aptasia (and prevented me from adding any other anemones) they very quickly polished off all aefw eggs in my system. As of the past 6 months, I have no evidence of any aefw anywhere in my system.
Yes, perhaps a couple lurk somewhere ... just like in nature.. but I am confident that I will not have a devastating outbreak ever again.
I still dip all new corals as a precaution..

Interesting Matt. Which species of peppermint shrimp did you use and how many did you put in? Have they gone after any of your corals?

Once you get some huge colonies, the peppermints could be less effective. There are many things that will eat them, they just cannot get into the middle of huge colonies.

If only acro crabs were available for sale for the larger colonies.

Interesting Matt. Which species of peppermint shrimp did you use and how many did you put in? Have they gone after any of your corals?

I have a 200g display and I originally added close to 50. They were/are Caribbean peppermint shrimp. Species I am not certain.. but I make sure to only add the Caribbean sourced peppermints.
They will eat just about any type of anemone, I think. I tried to add a Carpet anemone and they found it very tasty. Aptasia, for sure.
If starved, I'm sure they will begin to eat other corals. But if you have a well fed reef with lots of fish, they are perfectly fine.
I once added a big lobo type brain coral and a couple of shrimp were digging into mouth for weeks. I thought they would kill it but eventually they left it alone and I still have it. I assume something the coral had eaten befor shipping was inside and the shrimps wanted it.
They are amazing scavengers and smell dead or dying flesh a mile away. Any dead snail is consumed pretty quick.
I would suggest caution with acans, they may like them. I had a few that didn't do well long term but I didn't feed them. It's possible that the acans were not doing well so the peps went after them but I never really saw them really go after acans.. they just declined long term.
They've never touched sps except to inspect new additions.

Once you get some huge colonies, the peppermints could be less effective. There are many things that will eat them, they just cannot get into the middle of huge colonies.

If only acro crabs were available for sale for the larger colonies.

I don't believe acro crabs are a protection against aefw. They didn't help in my case.
Yes, the peps will not go deep into a large colony but the aefw must lay their eggs on fleshless coral skeleton. The peps will get the eggs for sure. I think they prefer eggs over adult worms.
If there is a dead spot on a cora,l in the centre of its branches, this could be a problem for sure..

Back