Anemones and spa ?

ONEWAY

Premium Member
Hi all, I had a question I have an all sps tank and I have a paired perc clowns. I was wondering is there a anemone that may be ok in an sps tank for the clowns. I know nothing about anemones. So I'm just tossing the question out there. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I have a lot of SPS in my tank, and 2 large BTAs. They are fine, as long as they are established and do NOT move.... If they move, bad things happen to your SPS.

There are a couple of colonies that are in the general area of one of my BTAs that get stung from time to time, but because they are such large colonies, doesn't do much.

I personally would only mix a sand dwelling anemone with SPS. I did it with E. quadricolor in the past, and while the "mother" stayed put, the clones would move around until they were settled in -- and would sting the heck out of my corals. Plus, a 15" BTA takes up a lot of SPS real estate.

I personally would only mix a sand dwelling anemone with SPS. I did it with E. quadricolor in the past, and while the "mother" stayed put, the clones would move around until they were settled in -- and would sting the heck out of my corals. Plus, a 15" BTA takes up a lot of SPS real estate.

What are some sand dwelling anemones? And would tha clowns take to them?

The ones that I have long term experiences with are an LTA (( M. doreensis )) and an S. haddoni -- both are sand dwelling anemones.

Have had an S. haddoni host; saddlebacks (( A. polymnus )), both skunks (( A. akallopisos, and A. perideraion )), Clarkii, and percs.

For the LTA, Clarkii, Percs., A. akallopisos, ocellaris and a few that I am forgetting right now.

It would seem like the sand dwelling anemones would have a hard time holding bottom with the amount of flow I have in the tank for my sps. Again I can't say because I don't know enough about anemones to say that's why I'm looking for help to find my clowns a home. Would they take lps torch?

It is a balancing act getting the flow right for the SPS, and than low enough for the anemone -- both LTA and S. haddoni prefer lower flow.

But, if you get it right it can be pretty cool.

From a couple of years ago.

RadiumFlash.jpg

I have kept and seen H. magnifica in SPS systems but only when they are isolated on pedestals. IMO/IME they prefer the lighting and water conditions that these types of corals are associated with. If one can find a healthy magnifica and keep it isolated on its perch it can make a dazzling display!

Back