Anenome and LIghting Question

MrManz1691

I have a 100 gal with two 400 watt halides on it. They are right now 14k. I just ordered two new 10k bulbs. Will that be too much light for a rbt? And will the 10k be better for him and my corals? I love the 14k, but i was told the 10k would be better. Is that true?

-Andrew

I would expect that at first the 400 watts of MH will be too much. The anemone would benefit from being placed in a position where it is farther down in the tank from the bulbs initially, perhaps under an overhang so it can extend into the light and then retreat into some shade as it needs to. 14K would be okay for your animals, but yes, 10,000K will give you a higher PAR value, from my understanding.

I think you're so over cranked on watts you don't need to worry about 10 or 14k for PAR value!
FWIW my nems did seem to like the 14k better, and looked better.
How deep is that tank, and why 400w?

Dave makes a good point, in a 100g tank, two 400 watt MH's does sound like overkill. You might benefit from just two 250 watt MH's. Why use more electricity and produce more heat than necessary, not to mention, it might be better for your animals to go with 250's. How deep is your 100g?

yeah that would be quite a light shock because most lfs carry them in much less lighting pc or t5 is normally enough. yeah basically ho wi see it the 14K or 15K bulbs produce better "colors" but corals and such grow faster under 10K. i dont think you should have aproblem though either way because 800 watts of MH lighting is quite intense

its a standard truview 100 gal. I have two 400wat halides over it. The reason that i went with 400s is becuause im getting more and more sps and less and less softies. I also have about 4 clams in there. I am thinking of avoiding the bubbles and going with haddonis. Im going to the wholesalers this week and they are getting in two for me. One red and one blue. I think they will benefit more from the lighting than the bubbles.

Well, lucky for you it's a bit colder where you are!
Personally I wouldn't go more than 250's, I think alot of people think more is better, and many overcook their tanks.
One word of caution, nems can get big, and can limit coral space when you add buffer zone so nothing gets stung.
I wish I would have stayed w/ one nem in my 90, and since have upped to a 180 and still feel limited on coral space.

My rbta did absolubtly brilliantly under 14k 400 watts in a 60 cube, it actually moved over the course of a month to right (12 inch) under the lamp

before
113133before.jpg

after
113133after1.jpg

finally
113133ftside.jpg
:D

Looks good ad. Some day you will probably have clones of that RBTA and the live rock will be a mound of anemones--will be impressive.

Back