Angel Question...

rompininphx

Ive sold the 2 rbtas I had in my tank because I'm getting one or a pair of onyx clown and want a H. Malu for them. Since I have the anemone's out, Im redoing the rockwork using pvc. I have a coral beauty angel right now but I really want a flame angel. The question is, since Im rearranging the rockwork, would it be worth a shot to add the flame angel to the tank once the new aquascaping is done then reintroduce the coral beauty? Anyone have experience mixing angels?

I had a coral beauty and a pair of flame angels in my first tank. They all got along great. I had the coral beauty first and then introduced the pair of flame angels second. I'd add them together once you reaquascape.

^Add them together. The Flame tends to be more agressive so keep your eye on them and be prepared to remove one of them if needed. Also doing it at nite or with the lights off helps.

Adding angels

Adding angels

I have not added angels as I have a coral dominant tank but have added tangs that risked not getting along. When I did, I found it useful to divide the tank using a piece of eggcrate. Or in my case I had a piece of acrylic made with vent holes and allowing them their own side/space. Depending on the size of the angels will dictate your options.

If you are re-doing the rock work it might be wise to leave a section of the tank with no rock for a little while and partition it off for a week or so. It is not foolproof but you can get a good idea of what their behavior will be and should you need to catch one it will be much easier that way. It also allows for acclimation to the tank conditions with minimized stress from the other angel.

Good luck!!

It's a roll of the dice. Depends on if you get an A-hole Angel. A lot of people have kept 2 or more with no issues, and a lot of people who had lots of issues. Like Sltyncopa said. Just be prepaired to remove one.

As a general rule of thumb, keeping angels of different genre will be ok. Angels of the same genre will tend to fight. I say tend to, they also might not. ^^ flip of the coin when you get the same types.

sry to hijack.....i already have a flame angel......so it may be possible to add another type of angel??? maybe add the new one at night time??

sry to hijack.....i already have a flame angel......so it may be possible to add another type of angel??? maybe add the new one at night time??

Another of not the same type. Like you can put a different angel of not the same genre in with him. You gotta go by the technical names here. Flame Angel is a Centropyge Loriculus, you can not put one in there of the LORICULUS species. A Coral Beauty Angel Fish is a Centropyge Bispinosus, so typically he would be ok with a Flame Angel. But, they may fight, your not always going to get a diffinative answer to that one. Move your rock work around right before adding the new fish, this will mess up your old fish. I may have messed this one up...But you get the picture.

Last edited:
Here are your options: Angels major names.

Pomacanthus: Emperor Angel
Holacanthus: Queen Angel
Pygoplites: Regal Angel
They are all Angels but are different types. Should not put 2 of the same in a normal tank.

Would the size of the tank matter? Like two angels in a 75 would be ok or like two angels in a 100 or better?

The pygmies in the 75 are fine. They aren't getting very big. The other Angels I would definately put in a much larger tank. You could put one in the 100g, but at an adult size of 15", that may prove to small for them.

Another Angel

Another Angel

What size Tank? Another Dwarf? If so it will be risky from the standpoint that the Flame has established his/her territory already. I have done it, but it is a 50/50 Proposition. Depending on the size of your tank The Navarchus,Blueface, and to some extent the Imperatoris tend to be smaller or not grow extremely Fast. IME you would be better off with a Pygmy, a Genicanthus Specimen or Possibly a Multi color Angel since they are a very different coloration.

Last edited:
Back