Another CUC question

With my tank being a few weeks away from a year old, I am starting to wonder if MAYBE, I don't have enough CUC.

I mean I know I don't, but is it a bad thing to not have enough?

in the sump (40 gallon), I have three red legged hermits. They were given to me, and I didn't want to have issues with them and my corals. So in the sump they went.

In the 130 gallon display tank, I have the following:
(2) percula clowns
(2) chalk bass
(1) orange prawn goby
(1) red serpent sea star

(3) scarlet reef hermits
(1) large nassarius snail
(3) itty bitty nassarius snails
(4) peppermint shrimp
(1) i think, a zebra turbo snail
(a bunch) micro brittle stars

Since I have been adjusting my power heads, the scarlets have not come out to play for awhile. so i think the new flow pattern has ****ed them off, but for now, let's assume they are alive and well :)

Obviously, going by what i see on this forum as well as online retailers, I SHOULD have a lot more CUC than I currently have.

Should I add more, or is it more of a personal preference?
If I add too many, they starve. But I certainly want them to clean the sand bed of any extra food that may find its way down there.

But i also don't like a cluttered sand bed. which i think id have with any large number of cuc's.

i would aappreciate some opinions/feedback. more or less cuc?

Well, I have probably the same amount of CUC critters as you do and I have a 29G.

You could look into getting some cerith snails, those things are great at cleaning the sand bed and rocks, and glass. Nassarius snails are a favorite of mine. You don't have many fish so you don't need a plethora. If you get only a few more you should be fine.

most website recommend way to many. they will just starve or kill each other off. if your rocks and sand looks clean i would say your good. but i would add a few more. maybe a fighting couch or a tiger tail cucumber. they really keep the sand clean. add a few more snails couldnt hurt, but dont go crazy. if your tank looks clean your good,

most website recommend way to many. they will just starve or kill each other off. if your rocks and sand looks clean i would say your good. but i would add a few more. maybe a fighting couch or a tiger tail cucumber. they really keep the sand clean. add a few more snails couldnt hurt, but dont go crazy. if your tank looks clean your good,

^^ this, it's easier to add a few missing elements later if you need them, than it is to try to keep your CUC fed without overfeeding the tank in my experience. I usually end up with about half of what is recommended.

Yes it's true, most sites recommend way too many, however, you really do have too little in my opinion. I have a 180, probably about 5 turbos, 10-20 nassarius, and started with 10-20 trochus that have bred into maybe 100! Also a conch, ~5 hermits, ~5 shrimp.

Nassarius really shouldn't clutter the sandbed, as they burrow and only really come out at feeding/night. Trochus are another good option.

IMO your the best janitor that tank will ever see. You could bypass the CUC altogether just as long as your willing to do a little work.

Back