another fish store up for sale

many businesses will have tough time ahead. Especially those that have a high overhead. It is also bad for us hobbyist. The less competition, the less choice and higher price we have to pay.

I´like the store, nice and clean set-ups I was only once there and think they would get a lot of business from Marin Co customers
Very rough times for all of us in general
I was thinking of opening one but since then the economy has been little by little collapsing, low work, no job and now starting a new job after couple of months without income
I saw the ad for Brian´s too
Let´s hope for a better year, eight have been more than enough...

Hope another owner comes in and keep it running. It is a nice store with lots of potential. Unless you know exactly where it's at, it's hard to see as you drive down lombard street. A bright new sign would definitely help for the new owner.

I really liked fish fish and more fish. That's where I got my tank raised seahorses. They have quality live stock.

wasn't there a fish store in the east coast that started charging people $1 to go in to the store? I'm guessing that store did not last too long. Wasn't Fragglereef up for sale also a few months ago? I saw their store for sale listing on ebay.

The unfortunate thing is that quality and service have taken a back seat to price. How is a store like Fish Fish and More Fish suppose to survive when there are web sites that sell the same merchandise for less or close to what FFAMF can get it wholesale? That doesn't pay the rent on Lombard. It's definitely a fish eat fish world.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13485965#post13485965 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by d0ughb0y
wasn't there a fish store in the east coast that started charging people $1 to go in to the store? I'm guessing that store did not last too long. Wasn't Fragglereef up for sale also a few months ago? I saw their store for sale listing on ebay.

Really, people need to pay $1 to get in store? where is the store location? I have 100 pennies laying around, time to clean up the house. lol

I think it is in north carolina, I can't find the link to the local tv station news video.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13487114#post13487114 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reef_only
Really, people need to pay $1 to get in store? where is the store location? I have 100 pennies laying around, time to clean up the house. lol

$1 store

That really doesn't work in the long run, LFS are in for tough times sadly. I must say though if you get into the business with the idea of making money, it's not going to happen. The hobby is a lifestyle business, if you can keep food on the table, and make the rent you're doing good.

I saw that one coming. The store didn't seem to stock up on the usual goods they once did.

It is a vintage style store. I mean they have been opened for years before I was even born probably.

Tough luck for them, but aparently a lot of competition going down.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13495502#post13495502 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MorandiWine
Times are tough.

On a side note, did you see the Reef Nutrition Fridge at the Tampa Bay stores counter??

tyler

I did, but I knew we sold to them :lol:

Not only are times tough but the greater SF Bay area has the largest concentration of LFS's in the nation. We have far too many and alot of them sprouted up during the tech boom. Loosing the few we have is of no surprise to me given that, then add on the industry was down by 30%-40% this year. The trade will evolve and prices will surely go up (loss of economy of scale).

I'm not wishing anyone going out of business, that just sucks. I'm merely pointing out how many stores we have compared to elsewhere.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13495870#post13495870 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
I'm merely pointing out how many stores we have compared to elsewhere.

Gresham, do you see less, but larger stores elsewhere? I know we've discussed how far people are willing travel in other parts of the country. I'm wondering what scale stores are, I know sq. ft are expensive around these parts compared to other parts of the country, just curious.

LFS will soon be rare to have, we may have to shop at a warehouse where they mainly conduct online business. Honestly, I think most of us spend more $$ online than we will ever do at the LFS. Sadly to say, LFS...RIP. =(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13496689#post13496689 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by navipro1
LFS will soon be rare to have, we may have to shop at a warehouse where they mainly conduct online business. Honestly, I think most of us spend more $$ online than we will ever do at the LFS. Sadly to say, LFS...RIP. =(

Your theory is based on current fuel prices, if shipping continues to go up stores large enough to transship might be the ones to survive.;)

There was a big lfs here in sac just closed 2 months ago, poor guy lost millions of dollar in the fish business. It must be tough to make profit in this buisness since some many hobbyists are buying online.

Jack

Back