Another Macro Question

Kharn

MANTISMAN
Hello

Recently I acquired a Nikon 1 V2 which came with a lens as well (it was a Christmas gift and I got the package 'body + lens'), the lens supplied in the package is the '1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6' and whilst I am no "master" of Macro Photography...I would like to do better then what I currently can with my current lens, the greatest feature this camera has opposed to my Nikon P500 is it's ability to swap lenses and not with just the 6 in the Nikon 1 range, with the FT-1 Mount Adapter the Nikon 1 can use any Nikkor Lens.

This is what my current work room is basically...I want to take pictures of things in my aquarium that are at a maximum of 8-10inchs from the front of the tank as rite now I am pressing the lens to the glass.

I've been looking at lenses and whilst I am willing to fork out a bit for a lens ($1000-$1250) I'm a little confused with what I am seeing unless it all comes down to "brand make/name" ?

Sigma Lens 105mm f/2.8 EX DG OS HSM Macro
Nikkor Lens - AF-S VR Micro 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED

The Sigma 105 & Nikkor 105 look essentially the same, both are Fixed Focal, 'Macro' 1:1, Max Aperture of 2.8...except the Nikkor is $320 more then the Sigma ?

Too me the winner out of the 2 is the Sigma.

OR

Sigma Lens 150mm f/2.8 APO EX DG OS Macro HSM
Tamron SP AF 180mm F/3.5 Di Macro Lens

The Sigma 150 & Tamron 180 are quite similar being although they have different 'barrel lengths' & Max Apertures...the Tamron is only $126 more then the Sigma ?

Out of these 2 I would say from a noobs glance that the Tamron 180 is better money spent even though it's slightly extra (I always hear people regretting not getting that "larger" Lens).

Any input would be very helpful or people that have experienced use with these lenses, as I have said above I'm working within 10inchs to 1inchs from lens to subject being photographed (if this helps)...

CURRENT EXAMPLE: using the '1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6' lens supplied.

This is the best I can get rite now although I have only had this camera for 24hours so I am still learning, the picture was taken in Manual mode and as best as I can put it...it was as close as I could get without the image becoming blurry / incapable of focusing / lens focus hunting (as I have heard it), what I would love to do is be able to get a Macro shot of its eyes only (both of them and them entirely in HD with some background blurred as I want to get the entire eyes).

juggy01.jpg

Cheers for any help anyone can provide

I have had an older model Sigma and I have the Nikon 105. there are two things you haven't mentioned.

1. Nikon is IF, I don't believe the Sigma is. It doesn't say it in the specs on B&H so I'm figuring it isn't.

2. Minimum focusing distance is two inches longer on the Sigma.

The Nikon is a better built lens. Also has very good weather resistance. I don't know where you get your prices from, but perhaps give a look here.

Nikon 105

Sigma 105

I haven't used the other two, but in the one foot range, the 105 is the bomb.

Well because I am still 'noob' I was looking at local stores/places within Australia and well known ones to me Like DigitalCameraWarehouse etc.

Those are REALLY nice pics

How far away from the caterpillar were you to get them ?

Back