Another quiet pump thread...

ek9vboi

So I am looking to get a new pump for my sump. Currently I have a ViaAqua 1300 which puts out around 370gph and it seems rather loud in my bedroom. It is plumbed into a tee inconjunction with my return and refugium. I believe it is returning around 100-150gph into my display tank (29g) after the head loss, I would like to increase it. Not to mention it might be less due to being teed off with my refugium.

My new plan is to get a pump that will work almost silent! The pump will be connected to only my return and the refugium will have a separate pump which will in turn give me more flow which I wanted in my refugium.

The refugium will be powered by a Maxi-Jet 600 which is 160gph and that should be more then enough. Also, it requires less power for it to be in use. It will also be connected to a Hydor FLO which will slow down the flow a little bit more so the nutrients can be absorbed by the macro algaes.

As for the sump pump, I just need it to be quiet! Low power consumption would be great as well. Anything around 300-350gph would be a reasonable amount. Keep in mind there is about 4ft of vertical, 2ft of horizontal head loss, 2 90 degrees, 2 45 degrees, ball valve, and 2 union couplings.

Isolate the pump from any hard surfaces and rigid pipe. Use a few inches to a foot of flexible tubing adjacent to the intake and outake of the pump. Suspend it in air with the tubing/pipe.

Thanks for answering both threads. lol... I think you nailed it on the dot. I just wanted to know if you are a personal user of this pump and is it as quiet as everyone claims it is?

I use a 1260 which has twice the flow of a 1250 and it is very quiet. People here who have the 1250 say it is pretty much dead silent.

I think I will more then likely be getting the 1250, but the only thing I dislike is using flexible tubing because it looks so ghetto rigged. Using Flexible hosing will give more a lot more flow, but thats always good. :D

re: the flex tubing, have you guys found an all-plastic collar to hold the tubing to the barb fitting? the ones I know about are those metal collars that tighten as you turn the metal screw.

Back