Anthia Dilemma - Need Advice

monkeysee1

Hello again everyone!
Okay, here's my latest issue:
I have had three Lyretail Anthias for just about three years now. Two females (or so I originally thought) and ONE male.
Well, I suspect one of the two females is turning into a male. It has a small thin hairlike tip on its top fin.
What should I do? Try to re-home this one right away, or take a wait and see approach??
This is so weird - I thought one male with two or more females would be fine. Why is THIS one turning into a male, after all this time??
They are getting along fine now. Well fed, no aggression (not YET anyway).
ANY advice anyone???

The usual rule is that a male being present will keep subordinate females from transitioning. Both of my female Lyretails have an extension on the front of their dorsal fins. For me, a color change is far more indicative of transitioning into a male.

Kevin

Thank you!
NONE of my three Anthias have undergone ANY color change whatsoever.
The two smaller females are the bright yellow-orange. My male is redder in hue.
I'll leave things be for now and keep an eye out for any color changes as well as behavioral changes!

I’ve typically had a dominant female with more color and if/when the male died, it could transition very quickly.

Thank you!
NONE of my three Anthias have undergone ANY color change whatsoever.
The two smaller females are the bright yellow-orange. My male is redder in hue.
I'll leave things be for now and keep an eye out for any color changes as well as behavioral changes!

I had a larger, more "bright" male and three females for three years. No real color difference; the male just had more intense pink on his fins. The male died, and one of the females developed into a male, and immediately got more of a dusky red on its head and fins. A much greater color differential than my original male had.

Kevin

Thanks again Nanook and Anemone!
The resident male and the two females spend most of the time just hanging out close to each other in the top middle of the display. The male sometimes "butts" the other two, presumably to not let them get any ideas - LOLOL...he also sometimes "butts" the other fish in the tank if they get too close to the females!

Back