Anybody have success expelling air out of angler,etc by feeding boiled skined peas?

reefD

my angler gulped some air tonight and is showing signs of it as he appears to be fighting against a slight bouyance when at bottom of tank. he is able to chill at bottom but i can seee a slight rise in his back end that he is controlling by hold on to live rock with feet and a rythmic jet exhaust from arm pit. i called a online dealer and was instructed to feed boiled peeled peas. anyone have success using peas to help flush air bubbles from a fishes stomach. i know it is air from the stomach cause before i was about to feed him he got excited and jumps at the surface . he didnt jump out but appeared to try to swallow something he thought was at the surface. immediately he tried to float down and couldnt . thus he began fighting against the boyance. i tried to "burp" and immediately afterwards he swam around and bubles came out of his mouth. but he still is fighting against a bouyancy. anyways anyone have or heard or feel that this is a good mode of attack to help my angler? does is work? anyone have seen it work? and how long does it ussually take to cure this air issue? thanks guys

Can you see the bubble on your fish. Because I had a Puffer who once get air when he puffed. I couldn't get the air out even when I was pressing on the bubble. So I bring him to my lfs where the manager took a syringe and took the air out. Everything was fine after that althought my fish did get a little bit stressed but I has survived. Don't know if it's a good idea for you to try this but anyway I was just giving you an idea.

Anthony

yeah i read this in a web site about fishermen who cause deep water fish and wanted to realease a healthy fish. honestly i could see it before but now its gone? still swiming strange. any ideas of this pea's thing. or what about him being to recover on his own? he is a strong healthy robust fish. thanks.

Well if there is no more air into it and he just seem to swim strange, he'll probably be ok in a few days. Never heard about that pea thing althought I understand they want you to boil it and peel it off so it doesn't take long to digest. But I can't tell you if it will work or not. Let me know if you find anything else or if he gets fine.

Anthony

IT WORKED!!!!!!!! he is no longer fighting a upward force and is happily resting at the bottom. what i did was give him 2 boiled peeled peas with krill for taste. last night i noticed him a bit stressed but it appeared like he was shifting the contents of his stomach as it was visually periodically moving(his belly that is). it was shifting side to side and blowing up a bit. now he is BACK TO NORMAL! he must of farted it out!LOL. he is fishing right now but im gonna let his belly rest and feed him tommarow.

I'm glad that things turned out fine for him. I've only heard the pea thing working for freshwater fish. I guess it works with Salt too.

yeah me too. there is a dinner in my town that has a goldfish that has been featured in the newspaper. he is over 15 years old and about 3 years ago he bagan swiming only at the surface. employess couldnt understand why the goldfish couldnt swim down. anyways one day a young lady who was home from college (she was studying fish in cololege) stopped bye the dinner for some lunch. with her studies so fresh in her mind she immediately began observing the fish and notice this affliction. she spoke to the emplouyees to find out they havent been doing anything about it. she spoke to the owner and started a strict diet of peas. the issue is much more complicated cause the fish did not improve. they continued and still do feed the fish peas but the young lady has gone even further. she designed a harnest device using straws and mounted wieghts (she used rubber) onto the harnest. the sight is funny but i gotta tell you the goldfish doesnt seem to mind it. the harnest is taken off ever night to avoid any contact bruise/injury issues. the goldfish has been living like this for a few years now and appears happier duyring the day as he swims up and down. pretty funny storiy huh....but thats the only place i have heard of doing this. and it was with a freshwater goldfish

Back