anyone bought liverock from quality aqua about oh, 30 days ago?

Was the rock cured when you bought it? I have bought rock from QA in the past without any issues, more than 30 days though. Perhaps you have other issues that are contributing to the hair algae?

I didn't buy any, but I was there around that time. They had some gorgeous deep-water rock. The deeper stuff is lighter/more porous, and has serious internal sponge colonization. If that's what you bought, you're probably dealing with elevated nutrients as the sponge dies off.

Any rock or pretty much anything from my observation is susceptible to hair algae.

My guess as well is there is something else as hawk suggested. If it is a new tank, then you are simply going through a cycle. If it is an old tank, you might look at elevated nutrient levels, specifically phosphates.

You might want to look into that as any live rock, will have some die off of sponges (good call Conni) and other items, tunicates, etc that can cause a spike and thus feed algae.

When I get my rock and cure it, I purposely minimize the lights so as not to exacerbate the problem. Although admittedly with the Bali stuff I only have a 2 day cycle before it was ready.

Kip

Have you been hitting it with a lot of light? How are your tests reading for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc.

You might cut back on the light some and also what salt are you using?

Any other info might help too. :)

Kip

tests are fine, i've cut back the photo period and left the fuge lighting on 24/7. In that time it's grown about another 2 inches. It's 6+" long in some areas, the time of thinking "it'll pass" is over.

Mexican Turbo Snails (the Big ones), Reduce feeding fish to the bare minimum, run a skimmer so you get atleast a cup a day of light green water, cut back on your lighting and do weekly water changes. If you do all of these things you will increase your chances of ridding yourself of the hair, but it is not a fast process and don't be surprised if it takes months.

I bought some LR from QA about a month ago to chop up and use as mounts for frags. No problems here so far. Knowing where Yale gets his stuff, QA is the only shop I consistently buy from in Denver and feel safe about it.

Hair algea is common during the first few months of setting up a new tank. As jimmyhof said, you can add Mexican Turbos to deal with it in the meantime. As the tank matures, the hair algea should go away as long as you keep good water parameters. If it persists more than a few months despite of good water parameters and turbo snails, then you should look at other sources such as photoperiods, top off water quality, or insufficient nutrient export.

K.

I have a few big turbos, a lettuce nudibranch, and now two sea hares. none of the above will touch it. The emerald crab seems to eat it though.
I'll bump the skimming up.

Can you give more info on the system? Size of the tank? Brand new or used? Equipment (sump, fuge, skimmer, filters, etc...)? Makes, models, and sizes of each? Inhabitants (fish, corals, crabs, snails, etc...)?

Are you using RO/DI water? If you are, have you tried testing it with a TDS unit? If so what are your measurements? My amonia and NO2 were 0 as well. Then I measured the water coming form the RO/DI unit and my disolved units were still in the teens. I found that the RO/DI unit had a bad menbrane. I replaced it and the measurements were 0.

After a couple of water changes, pulling the algae out by cleaning the rock with a toothbrush, reducing the food I was feeding, reducing the lighting period for a couple of weeks the algae problem went away.

Michael

Can you give more info on the system? Size of the tank? Brand new or used? Equipment (sump, fuge, skimmer, filters, etc...)? Makes, models, and sizes of each? Inhabitants (fish, corals, crabs, snails, etc...)?

???

They sell it at Animal Attractions up in Greeley. I'm sure that some of your closer LFS can order it in for you, if you ask.

Back