anyone drill tanks and build sumps?

Sleepy22

Lookin 2 get a take drilled and sump built this weekend.....i will be settin up the new tank as soon as this can get done

Lookin 2 get a take drilled and sump built this weekend.....i will be settin up the new tank as soon as this can get done

I have not figured out the sump yet but I have drilled many tanks. Acrlic tanks easier to drill you can buy the bit at lowes or home depot. Glass you should use a diamond bit and keep it wet when drilling......... let the bit do the work. pretty easy stuff.

I ordered my overflow and drill kit from gl*******s. You don't actually need the guides they sell. Just duct tape the template where you want to drill and go very slow with running water. I actually duct taped my hose to the tank near the hole. Each hole took about 20-30min to drill.

For the sump I recommend getting glass baffles made and then siliconing them in. Three glass baffles for my 40g breeder were around $40. Dont worry if they are a little loose, the silicone will fill in the slack.

Good luck!

the most important thing in drilling a tank is keep water running over your bit and do not put pressure on the drill. other that that its pretty simple. as for the sump, i don't care much for the silicone. I have used it in the past and had baffles come loose. I have switched to using windshield urethane. same stuff that hold your windshield in your car. its about $15 a tube and can be purchased at any local parts house ( car quest, oreillys, or almost any car parts store) this stuff does not come loose.

Depot does it 15$ a hole

They might not be drilling any more due to issues with cheap tanks cracking so call ahead first. If they still do they do a great job. Also the quote for holes may vary based on size, location in the tank, and other factors.

Back