Anyone else doing automatic water changes?

mal7887

If so... How much water do you change at a time? Curious what if anything others are doing to automate their water changes?

Purchased a Neptune DOS with the intent of automating my water changes and since on the other side of my Tank is my garage, I installed the clean and dirty water containers there along with the DOS with a energy bar. I ran the lines through the wall to my tank along with an Aquabus cable.

My plan to start is to change out about 2 gallons a day, spread over a 4 hour period at night. I have a pump in the clean water container that runs every 15 minutes to move the water. I'm a little worried about having the clean water stored in the garage with the temp being very warm, but I have seen a lot of others doing it, just at a very slow pace so it doesn't shock the system.

Anyone see any issues?

You don't have to put your Dos on an energy bar, it controls it via the USB and can be plugged into a regular outlet

You don't have to put your Dos on an energy bar, it controls it via the USB and can be plugged into a regular outlet

I'm Aware... but since I only have one mixing pump (for now) plugged into garage energy bar... I didn't really see the need to run the cord to the outlet.

I am setting up a new build include an automatic water changer. I will have a stenner dualhead dosing pump set on a timer with float switches for backup.

I Do the auto changes with a DOS. I have a 265 and do 3 gallons a day. I spread mine out over a 24hr period

I would do water changes if I could do automatically. But since my tank location is not in a good spot, I haven't done water change in 8 months. Funny thing is, this has been one of my easier tanks in 25 years.
For sure, check out Rogers set up.

I use a Litre Meter. About 10% aweek. The litre meter can carry and dispose of water from a long distance. Also puts fresh back into the tank that evaporates. Have had this system for about 5 years now.

I Do the auto changes with a DOS. I have a 265 and do 3 gallons a day. I spread mine out over a 24hr period

Laserjim,

I am in the process of setting up my DOS to do the same thing. I have roughly a 280ish gallon system and want to change about 3 gallons a day as well. Are you seeing any benefits of doing these types of continuous water changes?

Laserjim,

I am in the process of setting up my DOS to do the same thing. I have roughly a 280ish gallon system and want to change about 3 gallons a day as well. Are you seeing any benefits of doing these types of continuous water changes?

Hey Vince the biggest benefit is with daily water changes with small amounts you don't shock the tank with drastic change as with large water changes also it's automated so easier on the reefer and the reef

Wc

Wc

Matt, it's top secret :). I barely do it as well, but considering it for new build. A few others run little water changes with great success.

Psst!¡ haven't done a water change in a year and tank haven't looked this good ever.

How's it working out for you and how long have you had it setup? Any issues so far? I ordered my DOS last week. Will be setting it up for my new 300.

if anything you may need a heater in the water during winter months. My garage can get chilly when it's cold out and I had to do the same thing. Keeps the salt water from precipitating.

Nice! I'm thinking about doing this on my planned 30g nano. I'm thinking 1/2g every day should do the trick. Keep my levels good and not shock the system. I see this is an old thread. How has it been working out? And why not run the waste line to a drain instead of a bucket? Of course would need some float sensor to make sure it's not draining the tank completely into the drain... but that should be easy.

Nice! I'm thinking about doing this on my planned 30g nano. I'm thinking 1/2g every day should do the trick. Keep my levels good and not shock the system. I see this is an old thread. How has it been working out? And why not run the waste line to a drain instead of a bucket? Of course would need some float sensor to make sure it's not draining the tank completely into the drain... but that should be easy.

Mine is setup that way with the drain line of the sink has a t fitting and a john guess connection. I loved it this way. Just setup a new tank and haven't gotten around to setting up the auto water changer again

A link to mine

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2425540&highlight=autowater+change

I Do the auto changes with a DOS. I have a 265 and do 10 gallons a day. I spread mine out over a 24hr period

Well.... my automatic water changer (my wife) has failed me for the past 17 months, so unfortunately I have faulty equipment :).

Back