anyone ever deal with saltwaterfish.com ?

jmccown

Looking at their fish on their website and they have really awesome deals...with free overnight shipping on orders over $75. With their pricing and free shipping it almost seems to good to be true. Just wondering if anyone has ever dealt with them before. Any experiences, good or bad?

Jason

I've had bad luck with them and I know of others that have had bad luck as well. I ordered 2 tangs, firefish, and a citron goby. The only thing that made it passed the 3 day mark was the citron goby. Based on the look of the tangs, they had been caught with cyanide poisoning IMO.

Nope don't care for them at all. Bought a pink leather from them that was 100% dyed. Tried to contact them over this and they refused to acknowledge us, sent them a nice letter in the end and told them I would make sure I told other hobbyists about the negative experience and how they chose to handle it. So here I am telling you about it for what it's worth.

I would rather pay a little more and purchase from a LFS as well for many reasons - size, color, eating, general health.

Availability, wanting to introduce all at 1 time, unique type being the only reasons I net shop.

I used Live Aquaria also with good results. Prices are definitely higher but the stock (IMO) is healthy and they are good to deal with problems.

Like most everything else in this hobby - I am of at least 2 minds about this... Let me say first I have no experience with the internet store that started the thread.

This is more of a general comment about internet vs. LFS purchases. If there are no REPUTABLE LFS in your area and you cannot for what ever reason make the trek to the nearest REPUTABLE LFS then by all means please go the internet route - espicially for livestock. I have no desire to see any pet shop thrive on my purchases or anyone else's if they refuse to take the time to become RESPONSILBE and KNOWLDGEABLE caretakers of our oceans resources. Because lets face it they are the frontline that introduces folks into the hobby, and for many they are the only knowledge contact.

That said, the internet can be a narly place for the uspecting buyer.... where things are often cheap and tempting - AND you often get exactly what you pay for. Everyone who has ever made an internet purchase has an experience and asking for info on forums is a great way to get a general feeling for how you might fare if you purchase from shopsite x...

But what do you do when the responses are pretty evenly split? Go back to the site - here is one of the first things I personally look for - do they offer aquacultured? do they offer tank raised? Do some research and if the specimen you are wanting is available in either of those forms you should always IMO buy tank raised/aquacultured. If the site only offers wild caught - even for speices readily available through "farming" that is my personal trigger that says back away from the keyboard do not click checkout....

Another way to get more feedback is of course through searching multiple reef forums and even the vendor forums on this site that is set up for all RC sponsors.... And all that said, the BEST way to get "stuff" for your tank is the REPUTABLE LFS....

When I use the internet for purchases - F&S, Premiumaquatics, Dr.Mac, and MRC have all been really above board to work with. And the only "local" store that I frequent is JoMars I haven't found my way into Fuji's yet.... not that familiar with Charleston and just have not had the time...

Just my quarter...

Back