Anyone have any idea what this snail is doing

mcnetwork

I have a snail I caught in the bay and the other day I thought it was dead because it had this pinkish meaty looking stuff coming out of it, so I took it out and it tucked into the shell and I realized the stuff that I thought was part of the snail was actually on the rock, it actually looked like it was growing on the rock. So I threw the snail back in and today I find him near the same other wierd white rose looking thing and he is spitting out another one? Anyone know what this is? Is the snail laying eggs? Thanks.

Attachments

• nsail.pdf
    35.8 KB · Views: 0
the circled stuff looks like some sort of filter feeder, like tunicates or the like. The snail looks like a whelk, which does live in the waters near Tampa and up the eastern seaboard. these whelks are predatory snails, and i'd guess that your snail was eating whatever that is growing on the rock.

Im not sure what it is but to be honest I wouldn't pick anything up that I dont know what it is

the thing is

the thing is

The thing is this snail is making this pink thing the one I circled was not there until I pulled the snail off it, yesterday and I was calling all my friends trying to figure out what this pink rose looking thing was, well this morning the second one thats coming out of the snail was not there then about an hour ago I see the snail up near the first one and looked closely as you can see in the photo I first provided the snail is actually dispersing this out of it onto the rock so now the snail is forming a second one. Yesterday I thought it was eating the first one but now that I see a second one coming out of the snail I am not sure what to think.

It looks like a Florida Rock Snail which is predatory. I don't have a clue what he's doing though.

Back