anyone know how to ask about repairing acyrlic...losing hope fast!

giants4pc

I bought a 110 gallon acrylic tank used and should have realized the condition was worse that it appeared given the nastiness of the water and the inability to see. Anyways, to make a long story short, I've used micro-surface to sand the inside and out. It improved but not to my level of satisfaction. I tired a 4 step liquid abrasive solution (only to the outside obviously) and again things improved, but not to my level of satisfaction. The front glass still has a cloudy haziness to it (I guess it really could be from the inside, but I'm not convinced). If you look through the sides into the front, you can't see through. I guess I'm wondering if given what I have already done, is this the best it's going to be. I've spent near $100 to get this cleared up and although I could live with the way it is, it just doesn't have that WOW look. My tank is thriving with fish and coral and my lighting system is enough to tan with but the acrylic just isn't doing it justice. Do you have any ideas at all???? Thanks-I'd really appreciate it.

I dont think polishing an entire tank for something of that size would be a worthwhile endeavor. assuming a replacement tank costs 6-800$ . you are not likely to get the tank to a like new condition. there will probably still be the few deeper scratches remaining, and a haze.

you might consider a glass tank in that size too, it'll be cheaper to buy, and it wont scratch down the road.

Sounds hopeless. I'd buy a bigger tank! LOL.
Really, it sounds like you have given it the old school try. Why not look for a nice used glass tank? Probably cost less than what you spent on polishing compounds... Good luck, buddy.

got a hand drill? you can get a polishing wheel (it's got this felt/carpet surface like a paint roller) from lowes or hd and use the polishing liquid to get it back to new condition. this is after you get all the deep scratches out with micromesh sandpaper.

ask yourself if it's worth the time though

Allright, be committed to spending at least half a day to this project, Here is what you do, start with 200grit wet/dry sand paper and a spray bottle filled with warm water and some dove dish soap(and an electric palm sander), use plenty of water and hit the surfaces with the palm sander and water solution until you have covered what you have already sanded being sure to keep the surface you are working nice and wet.(do this in your garage for sure, as it is a messy process. work your way through 400,600,800,1200,1600, and finaly 2000grit wet/dry sand paper using plenty of water (refill spray bottle when neccessary) and finaly move on to a buffing compound and a cotton bonnett on an electric grinder, I have found that Wizard Turbo cut works well for this. While sanding and spraying, use minimal pressure on your palm sander and be sure to go at least 1/4" over the previous grit's sand with the next consecutive finer grit. This works for me, although it is the ultimate DIY. Good Luck!

Yes, this is a fine grit buffing compound that has a pleasent odor, Use last with a buffing wheel and bonnet, after you have worked your way through all the sand paper grits.

You have to use a higher grit, when we buff out tanks we take it up to 12000 using wet/dry paper. Using a bit of dish shoap slicks it up nice too.

I have done this same process as beaner3 has done it works well. I did this on two of my tanks in the past the Wizard Turbo rubbing compound thats a product i have never used before but i see it works. I myself i use diamond rubbing compound i get it straight from a diamond store were they do cutting the stuff works great! Good luck it is alot of work but it will turn out new looking.

You wont be able to get the inside looking good unless you empty the tank, So you might as well get a bigger tank.

I have the same problem and it is getting replaced with a glass tank.

Back