Aqueon 215g Build Thread

LST3

Hey guys,

I am new to the site but I was looking for ideas on rebuilding a old tank.

I got an older used 215 gallon Aqueon with dual overflows that I am thinking about tearing completely apart and rebuilding. I am not sure how I would brace the bottom or if it is needed.

The tank is 1/2" thick glass (I know the bottom is tempered but the sides are not) and measures 72" long, 24" front to back, and 29" tall.

The top and bottom frames are an old fake wood grain (that I wouldn't mind eliminating). The frames each have a small crack and I can't find places to get replacements.

I am thinking I want to rebuild it and do some kind of glass bracing atleast on top.
If needed, I think I could save the current top brace to use for the bottom, it only has one small crack in the center of one end (I'd probably paint it black while it's apart).

Or what are you thoughts on taking a framed aquarium and remove the bottom frame completely? Would it be fine I just need to use foam between the tank and the stand?
Should I add euro bracing to the inside of the tank at the bottom?

I have another 125g aquarium that I am going to cut up to use the glass for whatever bracing that I decide to use for the 215. It is 3/8" thick glass.

If anybody else has any other suggestions then I am all ears. I really just want to reseal the tank for reliability. And I wouldn't want to use the damaged (and ugly wood grain) trim again if I am going through all of that work.

Attachments

• 20240208_213736.jpg
    20240208_213736.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
I have never rebuilt a tank but just some thoughts:

My understanding is generally a framed aquarium uses thinner glass and the frame is what prevents it from bowing. So you would generally want a frame of some sort. Perhaps contact Aqueon directly and see if you can order one?

I know @griss has rebuilt a tank before. Not sure of any others off the top of my head. @Joe Glasscages may be able to give some insight as well.

Yeah I actually tried to get replacement frames from Aqueon. They said that they discontinued those sizes unfortunately. It was an older local store that I talked to, who went and talked to their Aqueon rep and got back to me.
It's really unfortunate because I'd rather just pay for the new frames VS trying to take these ones off without hurting them.

As for the glass bowing, I'll definitely be using some sort of cross brace for the top. Most likely a combination of front and back euro bracing combined with atleast 1 center (or two even) front to back brace. And a front to back brace at each end, not that they would do all that much bracing at the ends.

Is there a good calculator around for glass thickness that you know of? I was curious anyways but I haven't found a good one yet.

Hello and welcome to the site! The tank looks like a great find, but I'd also be scared that the cracks in the frames are more than just old plastic deteriorating. As in, it may have bowed or otherwise had a problem that cracked the frames when the tank was full. Have you filled the tank just to observe over a week or so for any problems?

If the cracks are tiny and don't pose a structural risk, I'd consider just painting them after super-gluing the cracks.
Although, honestly, the cracks would always have me worrying. Is there anything like heavy-duty packing ribbon/cord that could be camouflaged around the bottom/top?

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to the site! The tank looks like a great find, but I'd also be scared that the cracks in the frames are more than just old plastic deteriorating. As in, it may have bowed or otherwise had a problem that cracked the frames when the tank was full. Have you filled the tank just to observe over a week or so for any problems?

If the cracks are tiny and don't pose a structural risk, I'd consider just painting them after super-gluing the cracks.
Although, honestly, the cracks would always have me worrying. Is there anything like heavy-duty packing ribbon/cord that could be camouflaged around the bottom/top?
I have not filled it yet, the previous owner did have it filled though and there is nothing telling me it wouldn't hold water.

But like you said, I am not a fan of the cracks and that was why I was thinking if completely rebuild the tank. IMO he also had it on an older aquarium stand that was inadequate and in bad shape. I never would have filled 200+ gallons on water on the stand that he was using. That went straight to the dumpster when I got home. Plus, if I rebuild it then that way it will hopefully look brand new, and I like working on things like this anyways.

The age of the silicone is my biggest concern. The fillet seals in the corners show some lifting. The structural silicone still looks great, but I've heard bad things about replacing only the fillet silicone and not rebuilding the entire tank with a tank this size.

I know @griss has rebuilt a tank before. Not sure of any others off the top of my head. @Joe Glasscages may be able to give some insight as well.
The cracks in the bracing would make me nervous as well. When I redid that 200 years ago, all I did was remove and replace the interior silicone. So, it wasn’t really a rebuild. Hopefully Joe can chime in here.

It’s a shame Aqueon is discontinuing a lot of their tanks. Found out Friday they discontinued their 120.

Back