Anyone make it to academy of science today?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13442252#post13442252 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Thales
I was amazed that anyone actually wanted to go the opening day when admission was free - it was bound to be a zoo.

Matt said this in another forum and it makes much sense to me:

:D

Well, it was free. Plus there were plenty of other activities around and it was a warm and beautiful day in the city.:p

I went last tuesday. Took 10 minutes to get in! It was very cool, but as expected, the corals are still sparse and small. The rain forest area wasnt ready yet, so Ill have to go back and check that out sometime after the chaos dies down.

My gf wanted to go but I told her it's probably really busy. Turns out, I went to Japan and China town instead. Just driving through 19th was a pain.

There was an Accident with a Blue BMW and an Odyssea. I hope it was no on on here. If it is I SHAKE MY FIST AT YOU!!! 2 Hour Traffic just to get from Juniper/280 to GEARY!!!! OH MY GOSH! Normally would take 20 mins tops!

I purchased the family membership and went last Sunday for the preview. At $25 per adult admission, the membership is worth purchasing especially if you have little ones. The place is awesome!

Nope.....under 6 receives free admission. The 3rd Weds of every month = free admission to the public.

If you don't have kids an individual membership allows one guest to come with you each time you visit, and is quite a bit cheaper than the family membership.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13453367#post13453367 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Elite
I think I will get the family membership also. Thanks!

same here, we will get the family membership as well. Any other places that we can go with the family membership? for ex, you can to most zoo in CA with the SF zoo membership.

Andy......unfortunately it doesn't. They have different levels of family membership plans. The one I purchased is $160. Just go to their website and, click membership and sign up for it online. You'll see all the plans they have available and it's all tax deductible.

Alright I was in the area, figured I'd get a pass to get in the place, and shortly after I entered I left.

First, I don't know what the hell was with today but the number of kids with parents was absolutely astonishing... did schools go to the 4 day a week schedule? These were kids that were of school age too. Lots of pushing around by the kids trying to get a better look, my temper rose quite quickly (btw this could have skewed my judgement of the place :D) Either way, Friday, 10-11am? Why so many damn people!

Then the number of people pushing strollers nearly made me go bonkers! And half of them didn't have kids in them!! Strollers are a personal enemy of mine, I hate them, and I apologize in advance to those with kids who use them before I rant on them if you're easily offended skip to the next paragraph, they take up WAY too much damn room, the parents who push them think it's ok for them to just casually stroll in cramped quarters pushing them along, as a result major people traffic jams as a result. I realize the whole "Well when you have kids you're change your mind" approach, but I really don't see the point if you child is of walking age where they're quite mobile why you bring the stroller, if they get cranky and tired you carry them! You had the kid so you should have to suffer all the bad through it, not me!

Ahem, ok now that is out of the way to kind of place my mood :D

Overall, I wasn't terribly impressed with the whole academy, I don't know if it's me but it seems really damn small. Maybe I'm used to the older one with long halls that made you stay in one area, but I really don't like the open design they set up. I don't know if it was the crowds, the floor plan, or me not having a GPS but I often found myself back at the same place I started, I walked over most places 2 or 3 times before getting to the next area. I must have missed some turn somewhere because I didn't see any penguins (and I would assume there'd be a huge crowd near them), I didn't see the African Hall with all the stuffed animals. In fact there wasn't much I really cared to stop and look at.

The "space" area, couldn't miss the planetarium, however due to the long line of people I decided I'd hit the show some other date, however compared to the old place I didn't get a feel that there was anything "space like" around there, I loved the old place because it was a darkened area, with pictures and so forth on the wall, here? Nice design for a living room where you want nice floors and cabinets but the way everything was displayed just left me in a state of "Meh" ... nothing really caught my eye to excite me.

Rainforest, again super long line, I went by myself just to get a general check out, so didn't want to wait in a line by myself for what I'm guessing was over an hour (simply judging by similar people I saw in line from entering to leaving the place). Looks cool from the outside though. I'll have to see later. But again, everything over on that side of the place is just set up like a series of information booths, no real feel for "hey this is the rainforest area"

Aquarium, lets be honest this is the main reason I wanted to go. Well the big aquarium is nice. Honestly I thought it would look much larger, don't know if it's the way the rockwork is laid out or what, but I'm guessing there's a lot more you can't see as far as gallonage, but didn't seem like 220,000 gallons. Granted sense of perspective might start to get skewed at those levels. I did manage to go right to both of the large panes to get real close and while yes it did look nice, definitely needs some growing in as far as the corals, and I think some more fish. All the other exhibits though seemed kind of ho-hum, nothing terribly impressive, too many really small little boxes in the wall, a few nice sized exhibits that really stuck out as "wow cool" but overall I think I just may have expected to much, and I'm biased a bit because it's all stuff "I've seen before". Honestly though the with the exception of the large tank obviously the temporary location seemed to have more impressive saltwater displays. Plus more room to walk around, this is supposed to be a new location, some of those walkways needed a bit more space.

Roof display, again I had no idea how to get to the roof, maybe too many people, perhaps people blocking key signs that said "this way to roof" the little maps near the entrance were way too small to get a feel of the place.

Now I don't know if it was the crowds, or just me remembering the way the place used to look, or the anticipation, the lack of me being able to find stuff, but I was a bit disappointed. Sometime in the future I'll go back again on a weekday and hope that there are less kids, and maybe I'll find items and be able to just enjoy the place, today was not that day.

One last thing to gripe about, the center area that's this nice big open space, surrounded by glass walls, tons of natural lighting coming in and what is it used for? God damn chairs and tables to eat at? My god that was something that they should have just pushed to the outside and had something actually useful with that space. Out of everything there, I absolutely hated that part the most, I realize they probably make most of their money from food type stuff, but geeze that was just tacky.

One final word, I know quite a few people put a lot of work into the place and I am in no way putting them down, hell Matt and now Rich work for the place, and I'm sure they're doing a bang up job. I'm not expressing any animosity towards any of them, just giving a view of what my trip today felt like.

</end rant>

I went the other day and was very impressed being most displays have only been up for two months. Furthermore, knowing how public aquariums work I was very impressed with how much the biologists actually won in the battle with designers and such. It's a very fine line that is walked in that arena and my hats off to all that have done the work. Sure I saw a few things I didn't like, but far less then any other public aquarium I have been to. The Georgia aquarium was like 10 steps below what has been done at CAS. Sure neither are even close to MBA in my book, but I'm partial to how much micro life lives in the MBA. MBA is not a Zoo, I like that :D

Winter break? It's the middle of october? I know it's been a while since I was in grade school but geeze I never got this many breaks! :D

Gresham, yeah I agree they look pretty damn impressive for being a couple months old, maybe I was holding it to the level of MBA which I find to be absolutely exquisite as far as public aquariums go.

With smaller crowds I think I would have enjoyed the aquarium part a whole lot more than I did, definitely didn't have much time to sit and contemplate while watching stuff. However the rest of the CAS still left me for feeling like it was an art exhibit than a place to see/learn cool stuff.

I would like to see a 3d version of the large tank though, unless they "rocked" in a ton of volume it just doesn't feel like it's 10x as large as the temporary one.

MBA has been my favorite aquarium since I was a little kid. I must have gone there a few hundred times now :D

I only waited like 10 minutes to enter the rain forest, but i missed the planetarium by seconds....Some "workers" kept me occupied too long...geesh.....thanks Matt, Rich and Charles :lol:

I didn't get to see the whole place, when Jake comes back we'll hit it again for a larger tour. We where pressed for time as since Jake wanted to see Ocean Aquarium and AquaForest we had to fly...BTW AquaForest is closed on Tuesdays so we missed that :( Justin (Ocean) made up for it though, love his place :)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13566850#post13566850 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sfsuphysics
Winter break? It's the middle of october? I know it's been a while since I was in grade school but geeze I never got this many breaks! :D

These alternative schools do not have "real" summer off. They have school all year round, and 3-4 weeks off each quarter. If you have 2 kids, and one in this school, then good luck with vacation, really tough to plan ahead. Most of these alternative schools are in lower classes and yes, they are public school.

Hmmm, well guess I better get my walking cane then.. "because when I was a kid...." :D

But whatever, wonder if there's a database/calendar somewhere that lets us normal folks know when the kids were back in school or out of school.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13566551#post13566551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
I went the other day and was very impressed being most displays have only been up for two months. Furthermore, knowing how public aquariums work I was very impressed with how much the biologists actually won in the battle with designers and such.

Well put, the aquarium is largely funded by private donations, and it is left to do what it should, research, not to ooohh an ahhh the public for profit. We're not dealing with Burger King here, it's a vision, and that vision will take time to come to fruition. Be patient and you'll be looking at the nicest reef tank EVER.

Ok went yesterday afternoon and had a much better experience, WAY less people.

I did find the African Hall, unfortunately it looks like the same exhibits from the old place, although the penguins were cool to watch :D

The big tank looks like quite a few of the diatoms have been reduced, still there's algae and the like but in a week it's been knocked down from what I saw. Matt was even throwing a couple big canisters worth of fish in, I saw Rich too, didn't bug them though since they were working. With less people sitting infront of the big tank is quite a bit relaxing, and I do plan on doing it more often.

Got into the rain forest dome, and man that place is cool, I want to build one myself! :D I wonder how fast the butterflies reproduce though, I saw quite a few birds eating the butterflies, and quite a few more butterfly wings on the ground (guess they aren't tasty), but the exhibit was still fabulous.

Planetarium show I was disappointed with, to me planetarium means points of light, showing the night sky what it looks like from Earth, and maybe some other stuff. What they had was none of it, it was basically IMAX on steriods, projecting on the entire dome a movie hosted by Sigourney Weaver, no wonder I can't get a job there... they don't actually have a need for anyone who knows anything about astronomy! :D

Back