Anyone ordering Maxspect Gyre

sirrealism

I got an Email from Aquarium Specialty for a pre order that would go out friday for the Maxspect Gyre Generator XF-150 50 watt 299$ and free shipping. I dont think I am ready to pull the trigger on this yet but was wondering if anyone else is going to buy one. Would like to hear every ones opinions on it.

What size tank would that work on? I'm not looking to buy one, but that's pretty reasonably priced.

I think these pumps are going to be hugely popular. I ordered mine today, was tempted to order two. I run 2 MP40s and a Tunze wave box on my 180 gallon and I can't wait to replace both MP40s with this one Gyre. I anticipate more water movement over a greater area and most importantly less noise from the pump. The down side is I can't program them with my apex like I can my MP40s but hopefully that will change in the near future at which time I will probably get a second gyre and run them in anti sync mode like you can with the Vortechs.

I should receive mine later today. I probably won't get around to setting it up until this weekend, but I like the idea of adding this and getting rid of two Tunzes. I plan to try this vertiically at first mounted to the side of my center overflow in my 6' long tank. We'll see how it goes this way before I set it up at either end.

I am expected to get mine tomorrow, but won't actually set it up until I get back from my week-long trip on Nov. 11th (I am also switching to a Mag 18 return pump.. which is why I can't set up the Gyre yet).

because of my tank being a bit strange (100G Half-Cylinder), I feel this thing will be perfect for the tank because of it's type of flow. Time will tell of course, but I do have high hopes for it. :)

I am expected to get mine tomorrow, but won't actually set it up until I get back from my week-long trip on Nov. 11th (I am also switching to a Mag 18 return pump.. which is why I can't set up the Gyre yet).

because of my tank being a bit strange (100G Half-Cylinder), I feel this thing will be perfect for the tank because of it's type of flow. Time will tell of course, but I do have high hopes for it. :)

It does seem like it would work really well in a half circle tank.

I'm curious how it will do with a sandbed.

John said he will have them in stock I talked to him yesterday. I will be trying one out in my frag tank

Thought about it .. .. .. However I have my two MP60's connected via WXM to my APEX.

Pumps turn off when the AFS is activated to prevent pellets from going into the overflow.

Love the idea that my 100% SPS tank runs in the following format to keep more variety throughout the day:

Fallback ReefCrst
Set ReefCrst
If Time 07:00 to 12:00 Then Nutrient
If Time 12:00 to 21:00 Then ReefCrst
If Time 21:00 to 07:00 Then ReefNight
If Time 15:00 to 15:01 Then OFF
If Time 16:00 to 16:01 Then OFF
If Time 17:00 to 17:01 Then OFF
If Time 18:00 to 18:01 Then OFF
If FeedA 000 Then OFF

Keep in mind, each MP60 cost me $750 new and $120 for the WXM. So if you were committed to already spending $1,620 so that you could move water in your tank, I guess you would be committed to EcoTech Marine in general.

(I am also running two more Jebao RW-15's along the back bottom corners, pointed down to push detritus forward, connected via custom variable speed cable $30. So add $250 to the grand total.)

$1,880 :eek1:

The MP60's and RW-15's have given me flawless performance. Love them.

I am a huge gizmo fan, maybe I will start another build so I could have a reason to mess with one of these Gyre. Cool to see this hobby continuously evolving with new innovative tech.

I wonder what "they" will think of next .. .. ..

Last edited:
Mine just shipped from Marine Depot. From ordering to shipped in less than an hour. Hope to replace an mp40 and mp10 on my 70gallon tank. Figure I will have to dial it down.

The store in Brandon has one sutup and running

Yes, he has a Gyre setup on what looks to be a 150-ish(?) tank. Not sure what setting he has it dialed up to, but there appears to be adequate flow. They have begun to add more corals to this display tank, but mostly LPS. I run MP40's but am certainly intrigued with the new technology.

Back