Anyone tried AZ-NO3 before?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10416321#post10416321 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I can tell you from personal experience, if you are trying to reduce from say 20 ppm to zero, this does a pretty good job. But, if you are trying to reduce from 80 to zero, forget it.

There are better natural ways to reduce nitrate.

Read this article

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/august2003/chem.htm

Ditto. Totally agree. You also have to dose it according to the directions. But, it did work reduced it to zero from 10 ppms.

It did nothing for my tank and found it clouded the water. If you want to lower nitrates add a refugium,water changes,reduce feedings and clean detritus out.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10416821#post10416821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
It did nothing for my tank and found it clouded the water. If you want to lower nitrates add a refugium,water changes,reduce feedings and clean detritus out.
I have a refugium but maybe its not strong enough. U see my tank is 4ft x 2ft x2ft. My refugium is much smaller with miracle mud that was set-up a year ago. I have planted 5 mangroves growing with leaves quite regularly. Could the almost dead flow of water in the refuguim causing more and more deritius and nitrate ? There are no more copepods seen in the refugium anymore. Please help my corals refuse to open up and my fishes are dying.

Well, that said, you have other water quality issues, I'm sure. Can you post your current water parameters, what test kits you use and what salt mix you use.

Ok I will give u the updates soon. In the meantime,should I remove the deritius from my refuguim? How often should I change water in the next one or two weeks?

That depends on your water source and salt mix. If your water is good then I would start a series of 20% water changes very couple of days until you get your parameters back in check.

Do you run carbon ? If not you may want to run a good quality carbon to soak up any undesirables in your tank. Many of us run carbon 24/7.

The water is probably moving faster then you think. Put a filter sock on the incoming water to prevent detritus from building up in your refugium. Sorry to tell you this Mangroves look nice but you need to many to be of value. Replace with as much chaetomorpha as possible. Either run lighting on opposite cycle or 24hr cycle. I run on 24hr but thats up to you. Mangroves are nice but are not practical for home aquaria.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10417928#post10417928 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
Do you have any idea what you calcium and alkalinity level is ?
My calcium is 450 and my alkalinity is only 7dkh.

One thing puzzles me everytime. I'm running a rowaphos reactor. Will this help my situation at all ? Sorry guys, I'm not that familiar yet.

It will only remove phsphates. You may want to up your Alk a little, your at the bottom end. Is your PH okay? Replace the mangroves. What kind of pump are you using for the return?

Last edited:
Bab

Some stuff to know about on Mangroves

MANGROVES IN REEF AQUARIA by DANIEL KNOP
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/apr2002/feature.htm

Also you Alk is fine. NSW is at it high at 7 dKH although some like to run it higher in reef tanks, like 10-11.

One issue with mangroves is that you MUST keep up the magnesium at normal levies. Failure to do this will cause them to die off. The Mg++ ion is needed to kick out the chloride they pick up from the high chloride in seawater.

As suggested you need WC and the deritius removed from my refuguim.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10418344#post10418344 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
It will only remove phsphates. You may want to up your Alk a little, your at the bottom end. Is your PH okay? Replace the mangroves. What kind of pump are you using for the return?
My PH is okay 8.0. Although I find it hard to achieve 8.2 or higher. To increase Alk add the moment I'm dripping Kent Marine Kalkwasser. Is this good enough? Now my nitrate has lowered from about 60 to 40.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10417913#post10417913 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
That depends on your water source and salt mix. If your water is good then I would start a series of 20% water changes very couple of days until you get your parameters back in check.

Do you run carbon ? If not you may want to run a good quality carbon to soak up any undesirables in your tank. Many of us run carbon 24/7.

What brand of carbon would u suggest? I've been thinking of that but my LFS said carbon don't really treat nitrates problem.

Yes you can run Kalk just be careful with it if you don't have alot of experience with it. I would use Seachems reef builder instead. Mangroves do pull the Mag++ out of the water to get rid of chloride. You can get Julian Sprung's book on Two Little Fishies.com about mangroves. I still recommend Chaeto instead. Water changes and cheato will help your problem.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10418730#post10418730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by babareef
What brand of carbon would u suggest? I've been thinking of that but my LFS said carbon don't really treat nitrates problem.

I use Seachems Matrix Carbon. It's a step above Black Diamond, but if you can get BD that should be fine. A lot of folks use it. :)

Back