Anyone tried AZ-NO3 before?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10423599#post10423599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I use Seachems Matrix Carbon. It's a step above Black Diamond, but if you can get BD that should be fine. A lot of folks use it. :)
Hi Billy. Thanks for the advice. I will do another water change tonight and get the Seachems Matrix Carbon tomorrow. I hope they have here in Singapore.
And Thanks to Percula too. I will try to change to chaeto though I guess its not easy to get it here.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10425005#post10425005 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
:thumbsup: Good luck. :)
Hi Billy! I've just done my latest water change and did several tests.

Nitrate 20 ppm
PH drops to 7.7:mad:
Alkalinity also drop 5dKH :mad:
Calcium 350

I followed the instructions on AZ-NO3 and got the nitrate problem under control and so far did 4 times 20% water changes.
How can I get my Ph and alkalinity levels back on track?

by bringing you mag, cal. and alk levels back to NSW levels that will help with the pH. you can bring all yor levels up by using randy's 2 part.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10423599#post10423599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I use Seachems Matrix Carbon. It's a step above Black Diamond, but if you can get BD that should be fine. A lot of folks use it. :)
Hi Billy, I've been running the Seachem Matrix Carbon for about 5 hours now and did all the necessary tests:

Nitrite using Salifert test kit: 0 or almost undetectable.
Calcium using Red Sea test kit : 550, is this higher than normal?
Ph using Salifert test kit : 7.7 I know its still low but I added an airstone to the display tank.
Alkalinity: 6 dKH- LOW AS WELL

Other than that, I'm using Weipro 2100 Protein Skimmer, my return pump is Eheim 1262, Red Sea Wavemaster with 3 Dymax powerheads , and a Rowaphos phosphate media and reactor. Oh yes and a Resun 650 Chiller.
I also drip Kent Marine's kalkwasser at night to top up evaporated water. Also a refugium with 5 pcs of mangroves all with about 5 to 8 leaves.
Water change every week about 10% using Tropic Marine Sea salts.

Is there anything u think I'm not doing enough? I can see my system coming back to normal now. But I'm worried I might get another crash.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I believe that calcium test kit, but as long as you are not seeing a snowstorm, you are probably ok.

If you have it there, good old Arm & Hammer baking soda (not baking powder) will get your alk up. Just dissolve it in a few cups of water and dump it in the sump or high flow area.

Use this calculator to determine how much to dose.

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Getting your alk up to 10 dkh or so will also help your low pH and drop your calcium a little. 3 benefits in one. Isn't that special. :D

I would consider getting a Pinpoint pH monitor. As much as I like Sallifert's kits, the pH kit leaves a little to be desired.

And I have no use for Red Sea test kits. :)

AZ-NO3 I've used it

AZ-NO3 I've used it

I am very happy with the product.
I have used AZ-NO3 with great success. If you use it, start it waaaaay slower than what is recomended. (at least 1/2 as slow). It removes nitrates so fast that I actually lost a coral when I started it up over a year a go. However, since then, it worked as stated. I also skim, have a small fuge, use ROWA, carbon, and phar, etc. It is only meant to get you trates down low enough until your live rock & such can "kick in" & work. I use it occasionally even now in very small amounts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10432950#post10432950 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Billybeau1
I'm not sure I believe that calcium test kit, but as long as you are not seeing a snowstorm, you are probably ok.

If you have it there, good old Arm & Hammer baking soda (not baking powder) will get your alk up. Just dissolve it in a few cups of water and dump it in the sump or high flow area.

Use this calculator to determine how much to dose.

Reef Chemicals Calculator
http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Getting your alk up to 10 dkh or so will also help your low pH and drop your calcium a little. 3 benefits in one. Isn't that special. :D

I would consider getting a Pinpoint pH monitor. As much as I like Sallifert's kits, the pH kit leaves a little to be desired.

And I have no use for Red Sea test kits. :)
Hi Billy! I'm so glad I followed your advice. Now my water seems clearer than before; here are the latest tests results:
Nitrite: undetectable ( I'm still dosing the AZ-NO3 though at a very much lower rate of 8 drops)
Phosphate : undetectable
PH: 8.1(I used my friend's pinpoint meter, Oh I love seeing the number 8 on the display)
Calcium has dropped to ideal level of 450! Yes!
Alkalinity : 9dKH

I couldn't believe myself. All this while I found it hard to achieve Ph of 8.0 and alkalinity of at least 9dKH. I've dose baking soda accordingly and now I'm seeing good results. I've also read Randy's articles and Thanks to you I now understand the recipes for each water problems. And I did these tests at night, so I'm sure if I do my tests during daytime the results would be even more encouraging.But I do hope this changes are not too sudden right?

I've stopped dripping kalkwasser at the moment. Is this okay?
Once again Thank You:rollface: :p :D

:thumbsup: Yes, you can stop the limewater for awhile if you want. Stability is the key here. Just keep an eye on your alk for awhile. It'll keep trying to slip on you until you get balanced.

Good luck and yes......Randy is the man. :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10421702#post10421702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Percula9
Yes you can run Kalk just be careful with it if you don't have alot of experience with it. I would use Seachems reef builder instead. Mangroves do pull the Mag++ out of the water to get rid of chloride. You can get Julian Sprung's book on Two Little Fishies.com about mangroves. I still recommend Chaeto instead. Water changes and cheato will help your problem.
Hi Percula can u post a picture of the Chaeto? I want to make sure I get the right one.
Thanks a million.

Cheato is a better choice

Phosphorus-Figure-2-web.jpg

Lots of pics here. It is Chaetomorpha, Cheato for short.
http://images.google.com/images?hl=...220&resnum=0&q=chaetomorpha+&um=1&sa=N&tab=wi

Back