anyone using a laguna power jet pump for their return?

reeftivo

Skim junkie
I'm looking into some potentially quieter return pump options and I am wondering if anyone has used any of the Laguna power jet pumps.

I know ATB uses these motor blocks for their custom volutes on the flowstar.

any info on these (quiet? powerfull?) is greatly appreciated

Tivo

I'm using the laguna max-flo 1500. I've read somewhere that the only difference between the powerjet and the maxflo series are the accessories. It's more quiet than my water blaster on my skimmer. If you run flex hose on it, it should be near silent. Power wise, its pretty strong considering the fact that I'm using it to run two reactors and teeing it off to two returns in my display with plenty of flow left. I'm considering running a bio pellet reactor off of it soon too.

great! Thanks for the info

did you need to set the pump on a pad? I assume it doesn't come with any rubber feet or suction cups once its out of the caged housing.

tivo

Some people just let it dangle off the plumbing but I bought an acrylic stand for it. I think having the stand makes it look cleaner. Check out my build thread. There are some photos of how I set up the pump in there. Just do a search for "Toofrigginswt 125"

Some people just let it dangle off the plumbing but I bought an acrylic stand for it. I think having the stand makes it look cleaner. Check out my build thread. There are some photos of how I set up the pump in there. Just do a search for "Toofrigginswt 125"

Will do!

Really appreciate the help!!!!!!

Happy Reefing

Tivo

did you get the stand from so cal tropical fish?

Thanks

I read that earlier on the So Cal tropical site.

I'll just let it dangle or put it on some foam block

appreciate the help!!!!

tivo

You can also use a silicone hot plate pad. It is durable,safe and dampens vibrations very well. You can get it at WalMart

I'm using the laguna 2900 in my 80g tank. It replaced my ocean runner 2500 that had restart problems and wasn't giving me the flow I wanted. The laguna starts up every time without issue, gives me great flow, and runs silent. I can't hear it unless my skimmer is off and even then it's quiet. I feed my chiller and use it as my return pump. I'm getting about 1000gph after about 10ft of head pressure. I'm using 1" flexible tubing and could probably get more flow if I used 1.5" tubing. I took it out of its cage and have it lying bare with the output facing upwards. I found that the intake can be fitted with a 3/4" bulkhead slip strainer. It's not a super tight fit, but never had any problems with it getting loose and falling out. I'm sure just the suction from the intake of water keeps it firmly planted in place. Remember, this is with the 2900 and not the 1500 you intend to buy. The intake may be a different size.

Back