Apex base died please help

Jyetman

So everything was working fine until I open dashboard and saw my probe history was missing. Reset the apex by clicking restart under webpage network and system froze including the display. Unplugged everything and waited a few minutes. When power is restored all modules flash yellow accept apex base its solid green nothing on display. Connected network directly to router no ip address found for apex. Neptune emailed me instructions to try and reflash firmware but the flash utility never enters ARP just stays on attempt 1?

This is the instructions what do I do now?

Follow this procedure (Windows Only):
1. Power OFF your Apex by unplugging the AquaBus Cable or the EB8 (keep unplugged until setp 9)
2. Restart your computer in Windows safe mode with networking or turn off any virus and firewall software
3. Disable your wireless card
4. Ensure you connect your computer to your internet through hardwired cable connection
5. Open the Firmware Update Program
6. In the 'Network address' field put something similar to your default gateway (router) IP address. Click here for Help
1. For example, if you default gateway is 192.168.1.1 then make the network address 192.168.1.88
7. Click Update Firmware
8. After failed attempt 1 you should see an ARP Entry. Example Here
9. Plug your Apex in
1. Apex and computer should make a handshake at this time, if not try to power cycle your base unit again
2. You should see the Firmware Loading from 0 - 100%

10. Once that's complete all the status lights will stop blinking and return to Solid Green.
11. Now we will update the webpages. Click the 'Magnifying Glass Button' and select the APEX listed and press OK.
12. Update the web pages next.

I got the newest firmware updated in ARP as instructed but its still not booting up flashes yellow for a minute then turns green all other modules stay flashing yellow any ideas? Hate to say it but feeling ripped off apex is not living up to the reliability that all say it is. This controller is less than 3 years old and away from the tank so no moisture can damage it. Has always been on a surge suppressor and battery backup no reason for this to go bad. Thinking its time to change to a different company.

Last edited:
Can you log into the Apex now that you've got the base unit revived? Does it show more modules than you really have? I'm wondering if it's gotten confused somewhere along the line with the modules and it isn't talking to them correctly, giving you the flashing yellow/orange light at the module.

Since you've gotten the base unit back up, it seems like you're almost there. Might submit a support ticket to Neptune or update the existing one and see what their next step would be. I'm thinking you might want to delete any existing modules shown in the base and then reconnect the modules to get them recognized again. But I'm not 100% certain on the exact procedure for that.

Can you log into the Apex now that you've got the base unit revived? Does it show more modules than you really have? I'm wondering if it's gotten confused somewhere along the line with the modules and it isn't talking to them correctly, giving you the flashing yellow/orange light at the module.

Since you've gotten the base unit back up, it seems like you're almost there. Might submit a support ticket to Neptune or update the existing one and see what their next step would be. I'm thinking you might want to delete any existing modules shown in the base and then reconnect the modules to get them recognized again. But I'm not 100% certain on the exact procedure for that.
No the base unit isn't back up running its solid green but nothing on display nor accessible from network.

No the base unit isn't back up running its solid green but nothing on display nor accessible from network.

Well that sucks. If you're all green on the base unit, it *is* running fine... it's just that you can't access it. Yeah, I know... that doesn't help much. But it *does* indicate that it's not dead - just inaccessible at the moment.

Since your display isn't connecting either, I think it's just an issue that the module addressing got corrupted somehow. Neptune should be able to walk you through the fix when they unbury themselves from the holidays.

So even logging into your router, you can't see any IP address assigned to it?

Well that sucks. If you're all green on the base unit, it *is* running fine... it's just that you can't access it. Yeah, I know... that doesn't help much. But it *does* indicate that it's not dead - just inaccessible at the moment.

Since your display isn't connecting either, I think it's just an issue that the module addressing got corrupted somehow. Neptune should be able to walk you through the fix when they unbury themselves from the holidays.

So even logging into your router, you can't see any IP address assigned to it?

Nope they want me return and pay for repair. I still think if I can wipe the cmos and start over but how do you do that?

If you updated the firmware using the updater program, I would think the Apex must've been found on the network. You didn't happen to notice any IP address flash by on the screen?

But I suppose if they're saying to send it in, that's the answer. If you can't pull it up on your network, then they can't even telnet into the unit to try and remotely fix it. Not much else to do. I had a base unit start to flake out on me years ago, after it was only a year or two old. I ended up buying a spare base unit, swapping it out, and having the original one fixed. It was either no charge, or a very minimal charge... can't remember. But it's not like they were out to gouge people on the repair.

Well that sucks. If you're all green on the base unit, it *is* running fine... it's just that you can't access it

Before sending my apex base to neptune for repair I took pictures before and after. Both pictures are identical I added secret markers nothing was removed what did they do? They apparently didn't do what they said component repair! Thinking all they did for $75 bucks was wipe the cmos and say updated firmware to latest version which it already was! The jumper near the battery didn't clear the cmos wonder how the cmos is cleared the battery isn't removable?

So you're complaining because they fixed it? Kinda scratching my head on this one. Even if they did what you say they did, they turned a brick into something you can now use. Wasn't that the point?

its the princible of the matter expecting honest business practices not to mention good morals and ethics then again this is the new USA land of deceptive profits and cheap made in china ripoffs!!!

Just as I guess its the principal of the matter to expect honest consumers to send items in that actually need to be repaired - and not to add "secret markers" in a thinly veiled attempt to discredit honest companies for who knows what reason. Its all in the perspective.

Have to agree with kurt_n on this one - you sent in a brick and they fixed it for $75. If you had the skill set - you could have done it yourself. Pretty reasonable IMHO...

Ok maybe I got carried away a little at least they were honest enough not to charge me $150 so that is good. When your living on Social Security $75 is tough to take for just clearing the cmos "5 minute job" if thats truly what they did.

Mine did similar. They said they recommend plugging the apex in a surge suppressor. Their literature didn't state that anywhere. But a capacitor went bad in mine and they repaired mine using a jumper and still charged me over 100$ for a 1$ capacitor and maybe 10 minutes.

Mine did similar. They said they recommend plugging the apex in a surge suppressor. Their literature didn't state that anywhere. But a capacitor went bad in mine and they repaired mine using a jumper and still charged me over 100$ for a 1$ capacitor and maybe 10 minutes.

I understand the frustration. See whats upsetting to me is that they said components needed to be replaced and wouldn't be specific about what those components are I asked several times with no response.

Just as I guess its the principal of the matter to expect honest consumers to send items in that actually need to be repaired - and not to add "secret markers" in a thinly veiled attempt to discredit honest companies for who knows what reason. Its all in the perspective.

Have to agree with kurt_n on this one - you sent in a brick and they fixed it for $75. If you had the skill set - you could have done it yourself. Pretty reasonable IMHO...

I wasn't trying to discredit anyone. When I first opened the apex to see if I could clear the cmos myself I also took a picture of the board to magnify so I could see it better. When I got the apex back I noticed where the board sits in the black casing areas of melted plastic is adhered to the edge of the board. That area would had been disturbed if the pcb was actually removed for repair. That plastic is still adhered to the board when I got it back. So the secret marker wasn't something I placed there on purpose.

If you updated the firmware using the updater program, I would think the Apex must've been found on the network. You didn't happen to notice any IP address flash by on the screen?

But I suppose if they're saying to send it in, that's the answer. If you can't pull it up on your network, then they can't even telnet into the unit to try and remotely fix it. Not much else to do. I had a base unit start to flake out on me years ago, after it was only a year or two old. I ended up buying a spare base unit, swapping it out, and having the original one fixed. It was either no charge, or a very minimal charge... can't remember. But it's not like they were out to gouge people on the repair.
Yes it did have a IP when it updated but after it finished updating the network IP disappeared.

Back