Apex vs. Digital Aquatics controller?

Elimav

I am new to the hobby. I bought a complete 80 gal set up with a 25 gal sump. It came with an older model Apex controller which acts erratically and I'm thinking of changing. My buddy, who has been in the hobby for years and knows a lot, uses a Digital aquatics controller. He has a backup Reef Keeper Elite model that he will give me a deal on. Most of the guys I know locally use Digital Aquatics and say it is easier to use than Apex. I don't have a problem buying a new Apex or Digital Aquatics, I just don't want to have buyer's remorse. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks

my rkl is having issues with the sid today, and its really frustrating. Until today i have loved the thing.

I just got a RKE and am satisfied it fits my needs. Am upset at the lack of updates though. If I didn't get a good deal on CL for it I would've went apex.

I own both. My RKE has performed flawlessly. My Apex has done the same. I dont think you can go wrong with either. There is a slightly larger learning curve with the Apex if you want to start getting really advanced in what you want it to do though. Either way I think they are a good investment.

Digital Aquatics is pretty weak on the warranty support and product/firmware updates....other than that it is a good controller. I prefer Apex, but like several things about the RK more....like the 4 outlet strips and head unit. If it is a good price he is giving you, I would really consider the RK.

Are you ever going to be looking to control Vortech pumps? That is a feature the RK lacks.

I have had both....and amongst me and all of my friends in the hobby, the Apex is far superior in every possible criteria. Great customer support, iPhone, iPad and maybe other platforms apps...much better user interface, excellent users manual....I could go on for a long time....but seriously, the RKE versus the Apex is almost in unfair comparrison...go with the Apex or severely risk having the buyers remorse you mentioned. JPB

Well your buddy who has been in this hobby uses it and so do your community reefers . I would guess it would be a safe bet to get one. I love mine it has saved my tank on numerous occasions .

Digital Aquatics is pretty weak on the warranty support and product/firmware updates....other than that it is a good controller. I prefer Apex, but like several things about the RK more....like the 4 outlet strips and head unit. If it is a good price he is giving you, I would really consider the RK.

Are you ever going to be looking to control Vortech pumps? That is a feature the RK lacks.

I doubt I'll be needing to control vortech pumps

Thanks everyone for all of the input. I like the easier to use aspect of the RKE not to mention i can get it for a cheaper price, but I also like the idea of the iPad & iPhone platform for the Apex. It seems I still have some pontificating to do.

Apex all the way unless you just need a heater controller.

Internet access was a must for me, and the apex wins hands down in that category.

Something to point out about the Reefkeeper is the lack of support on Mac computers. When the rep told me to bad and you should run windows on your Mac, I bought an Apex and have not looked back.
I will add that I also did own a Reefkeeper at one time and it worked great as a light timer and heater controller. When I was looking at controllers again I needed more and I also needed to be able to interface with my Macbook, so I bought the Apex.

When I was doing my research. I found that there were alot of for sale threads for reef keepers
And the only sale threads with apex were for people getting out of the hobby.

Haven't used an Apex, here's my experiences with DA.

1) bus issues for larger systems. I have 9 modules spread across 2 rooms. After I expanded past the base system and added a ~15 ft bus cable, I started getting bus errors from my halides turning on. I had to add common node chokes to the transformers, and I moved all of the DA equipment as far as I can get it away from the MH system (it's still within ~2 feet). That mostly fixed it (it happened every time at first). It still triggers an alarm about once a week randomly (always timed to the lights), the system resets and everything clears. It's just a minor annoyance now, it sends me an email for every alarm in the system when it happens. I'll probably move to LED's soon anyway, which I expect will resolve this. There are others that claim to have 100' cables with no problem, so I guess your mileage will vary. Maybe my two 250 watt magnetic ballasts are just unusually noisy.

2) they haven't put out an update in two years (last update was 9/21/11). I assume because they've been focused on the SL2 debacle. SL2 is fixed and shipping now though, so I hope we'll see some updates, bug fixes, or new modules...?

3) If you set an alarm on temperature or PH, then when you reach the point of the alarm, say 82 degrees, the alarm will repeatedly trigger and clear over and over when the temperature bounces between 81.9 and 82 (just sitting in constant temperature water the reading bounces by .1 often). I've been surprised by hundreds of emails from this in a single night... I don't have it set up to SMS me because of this (don't have unlimited SMS). DA's response is that alarms should "never happen," and it's doing what they designed it to do, so it's not a problem... My heater failed and my email was spammed, alarms do happen and it is a problem. I'd like to tell it to trigger the alarm at 82, but don't clear the alarm until it drops below 81.8. They have that ability when controlling heaters or chillers, but they don't have it on alarms.

4) minor, but annoying. If you change a multi timer it won't run until the next start time passes. So, if you have a multi timer set to start at 12 am and repeat every hour 23 times, and you have another timer set to start at 12:30 am and repeat every hour (think 2 part dosing separated by a half hour), then if you modify the "on" time to increase or decrease dosing at noon, it won't dose anything for the next 12 hours until you hit the 12 am start time. They have the ability to do a timer that turns on and off on a cycle, on a minute, off for 59 minutes, without a start time, but you can't do an time offset between two of them, so you can't separate ca and alk dosing using it. So, the end result is that you either dose CA and ALK at the same time, or live with skipped dosing whenever you need to adjust dosing. I do most of my testing and adjustments in the late evening, so not a big deal. If you do most of your work at the same time, then just use that as your start time.

Overall, it's ok, even better if you can get a good deal. I'm sure Apex and Reef Angel users have their list of annoyances too.

I think customer support ls very good. I have had a few components replaced with no problem.

Back