April 2007 nTOTM- Nanokiper's 30G SPS-LPS Tank

Hi! I'm from Malaysia. Do you use a chiller? How do you keep your water cool? The tempereture in both our country are quite similar i think, and i would like to know your temperature control. Pls elaborate you drip pads a little bit. Thank you very much. Your tank is awesome!!!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9921645#post9921645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wakkats
Hi! I'm from Malaysia. Do you use a chiller? How do you keep your water cool? The tempereture in both our country are quite similar i think, and i would like to know your temperature control. Pls elaborate you drip pads a little bit. Thank you very much. Your tank is awesome!!!

I have 1/10 hp chiller but it was not fully ulitized this summer since the evaporative cooler seems to be doing the job. I set the chiller at 28C and it has activated once during the hottest day of summer. Ambient temperaure was 38C and the tank water thermometer reading was 30C.

Below are the components of my cooler:

Casing
a1.jpg

Cooling pads to increase air and water contact time and surface area.
a2.jpg

Pads and casing assembly
a3.jpg

Cooling fan with drip tray on the top
a4.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice tank and great DIY work... Can u give more information on how the Evaporative Cooler works? Also, i'm a pinoy from the states...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9937491#post9937491 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mic209
Very nice tank and great DIY work... Can u give more information on how the Evaporative Cooler works? Also, i'm a pinoy from the states...

My evaporative cooling is operating like cooling tower commonly used for water cooling of manufacturing plants. Cooling effect is dependent on air dryness, humid air in the sump where the cooler is located is continuously replaced by fresh air. From the main tank, water enter the drip tray and to the cooling pads. The pads are actually increasing the air and water contact surface and at the same time decreasing water drip rate, bigger area and longer time of cooling improve heat exhange.

Last edited:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9937599#post9937599 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nanokiper
My evaporative cooling is operating like cooling tower commonly used for water cooling of manufacturing plants. Cooling effect is dependent on air dryness, humid air in the sump where the cooler is located is continuously replaced by fresh air. From the main tank, water enter the drip tray and to the cooling pads. The pads are actually increasing the air and water contact surface and at the same time decreasing water drip rate, bigger area and longer time of cooling improve heat exhange.

Sorry, I'm still quite blurry about your cooling systems. I've looked at your equipments, but can you show the picture of it while its operates? So i can get the idea how it works. Thanx.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9938092#post9938092 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wakkats
Sorry, I'm still quite blurry about your cooling systems. I've looked at your equipments, but can you show the picture of it while its operates? So i can get the idea how it works. Thanx.

Hope this can help.
a5.jpg

Beautiful. The PE on the Acans is stunning. Its nice to see someone putting that much work and planning into a 30. And the results look great.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10479068#post10479068 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by astig007
this is a great find for me coming from RP :)

nanokiper,

what material is the cooling pad made of?

1/8 inch acrylic sheet.

Nanokiper, if you could take a look at my red house build thread and critique my manifold system I would appreciate it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10813319#post10813319 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GrandeGixxer
Nanokiper, if you could take a look at my red house build thread and critique my manifold system I would appreciate it.

Checked it and we got similar plumbing design. Nice tank.

Modified auto top off controller. Float switch activates timer ( set at 5mins)thru DC relay, timer activates top off pump. When the preset time elapse without shutting off the float switch, buzzer will be activated to alarm the abnormal operation of the system.
1.jpg

2-1.jpg

Hi Fin goby, this one survived out of three fishes we bougt from the exporter. The other two were probably eaten by the brittle star.
HighFinGoby.jpg

Tube worms
Tubeworm.jpg

Latest Tank shot
MainNov07.jpg

Back