aptasia...

sacalaitman

well i moved my 20g tank into a 30g and added some new cured live rock. everything seemed fine. went and checked on it today and when i turned the lights on i had hundreds aptasia all over some of the rocks. they are super small, like around 1/8 inch so i cant use joes juice. should i try peppermint shrimp to get rid of them or what other natural predator? i only have one true perc clown and one very small starry blenny that i got today. 3 emerald crabs also so the bioload is really light. i want to start adding corals but this is a new setback.

send that nasty rock to me I'll deal with it! Get the nudibranch that eats it I forget the name right now Bergia or something like that.

I would go to the source of the rock first and point the finger at them about the aptasia. I agree, that if it's just one or two pieces, It may actually be cheaper and less frustrating to just pull the rock, and let it dry up. Although an underfed peppermint will probably do the trick in this case.

may not be "hundreds" but its alot. they dont look like normal ones but i'm sure thats what they are. they are very tiny and clear. when i inspected further, the old rocks were what they were on not so much the new ones. due to the size i was thinking about peppermint shrimp in the first place. i'll try and take some pics when i go and check on it after while.

Aiptasia Control works the best for me. You don't even have to put it in the mouth, you have to just cover the aiptasia with it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10461428#post10461428 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SolidDetail808
Aiptasia Control works the best for me. You don't even have to put it in the mouth, you have to just cover the aiptasia with it.

There's lot sof products out there, is Aptasia Contol the Tropic Marin prodcut?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10465464#post10465464 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralnut99
There's lot sof products out there, is Aptasia Contol the Tropic Marin prodcut?

Blue line or blue life, blue something. I have used it and worked well for me.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10465499#post10465499 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by asm481
Blue line or blue life, blue something. I have used it and worked well for me.

Thanks, I'll check into it. I remember seeing a whole line of stuff with a similar name, but I can't remember it exactly myself at the moment.

Hmmmm. Looks like re-packaged Joe's Juice.

My experience with JJ, and Kalk paste has been to have them come back in greater numbers. Since I stopped using both, they have at least stopped multiplying.

In the pretty near future, I may be setting up a temporary 10G, with nothing but peppermints in there to take care of them one piece of rock at a time, once and for all. I can't put shrimp in any of my displays since they just become expensive Anthias snacks.

Anybody else have experience with this stuff?

http://www.toofishy.com/product.php?productid=27860&cat=776&page=1

i know this may be un-usful coming from a "noob" but i had a rock like this and i simply covered it with sand and that little...weed came to the top and i just scooped it from the sand, rock saved, no chemicals used, rock still intact just an idea, tried and worked for me.

Peppermint Shrimp

make sure they are Peppermint Shrimp and not the camel back shrimp look the same except for the hump on their backs. Camel shrimp will not touch the stuff and most LFS mislabel the camel back's as Peppermint Shrimp

Aptasia

Aptasia

Copper Banded Butterfly will take care of all your aptasia woes. I've had 2 breakouts and each time, putting a Copperbanded Butterfly was the only answer to getting rid of them. I've tried JJ and agree with coralnut, all it does is make the aptasia explode and multiply wherever the remains land. I equate JJ to blowing on a Dandelion. Yeah it's gone, but sure as anything, it'll be back in greater numbers wherever the reminants land.

Good Luck...

i don't think you'll be able to keep a CBB with an eel or a lionfish. they are very docile, and can't handle aggression.

sorry for the double post; it sounds like your tank in your tagline is not the tank you're talking about. i wouldn't put a CBB in a 30 gallon tank either.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10460541#post10460541 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sacalaitman
may not be "hundreds" but its alot. they dont look like normal ones but i'm sure thats what they are. they are very tiny and clear. when i inspected further, the old rocks were what they were on not so much the new ones. due to the size i was thinking about peppermint shrimp in the first place. i'll try and take some pics when i go and check on it after while.

Are you positive they're Aptasia then? They could be something different

CBB

CBB

My bad...I didn't realize it was a 30 Gal. That being the case, I absolutely agree that's too small of a tank to put a CBB in.

I would definately recommend the peppermint over the copperband. Copperbands should not be purchased just so they can remove aiptasia. They are a difficult and delicate species that deserve the appropriate forethought. Also, peppermints are great when it comes to the small aiptasia. They often won't touch the large stuff, but they eat the small ones like candy. If you want to keep the rock, get one now before the aiptasia grows large. Bergia are also good from what I've read, but they will not thrive onces the aiptasia becomes scarce. Good chance they'll die before they even eat all of it, then it will just grow back.

Back