AquaController III Maint & Care?

leebca

Premium Member
What kind of maintenance and care will I need to do for my AquaController III? How often will the probes need cleaning and/or calibration if I choose the lab grade probes?

Thanks!

We recommend calibrating and cleaning the probes once a month. For cleaning use a soft bristled toothbrush to remove the biofilm on the tip of the probe. For calibration follow the procedure as described in the owner's manual.
What I actually do is only calibrate when the readings deviate from the normal trend. This is quite easy to observe when the parameters are graphed via AquaNotes. Using this method I only have to calibrate the pH probe every 2-4 months.

Curt

Thanks for your prompt response Curt.

What is the life expectancy of the lab grade probes?

Can all be in the tank water 24/7? Can they all be submerged, or which ones can't be?

Why isn't there a package deal for III Pro, all probes, all calibration solutions, and the DC4 just for marine aquarists? It seems like there is no complete package.

Thanks again.

Lab grade probes usually last 12 to 24 months depending on conditions. We recommend that the probes are not fully submerged, to prevent the wire from degrading and causing the probe to fail prematurely due to salt water exposure. One economical and practical way to mount the probes is to simply float them in the sump with a block of styrofoam. Take a piece of styrofoam and make holes in it slightly smaller than the diameter of the probes. Push the probes halfway through the foam and float the whole assembly in the sump.
We'll look into updating our website with a monster package which includes more options. Currently, we do offer package deals which include any of the base units, the 3 most common probes, and an assortment of control options including DC4s.

Curt

Thanks again, Curt.

If the probes are in the float like you suggested, then is it true that one probe will not interfere with the reading of the other probes?

Any prospects on having wireless pH probes and/or a Ca probe (like PinPoint) in the future?

Thanks again.

Regards,
:)

Floating the probes in foam will not increase or decrease their susceptibility to interfere with another. Floating the probes results in a longer life and more reliable probe operation since one possible failure mechanism has been eliminated.
What are you thinking in the way of wireless pH probes? A monitor/controller that has multiple wireless pH probe modules? Not sure why you would really want wireless controller as it would appear to be a less reliable option than a hardwired probe.
I'd love to add Ca probe input to our controllers. Unfortunately, there still isn't a Ca probe available that is reliable and low maintenance enough for continuous use. From what I've read and seen on the PinPoint Ca probe, it takes longer to get an accurate measurement than performing a standard Ca test. The probe goes out of calibration quickly, has a huge temperature variation, can't be used continuously, etc. I don't think it is ready for the average aquarist yet.

Curt

Thanks again, Curt.

You've been patient and helpful.

In my aquarium system of four tanks, sump, and refugium, I'd like the control unit to keep track of multiple pH and temps without wires. Maybe something for the future.

Regards,

Hello Curt...
Along the same lines, is there any plans for a second pH probe hook up? I would love to monitor my Ca Reactor output pH.
TIA

We are developing an expansion module for the AquaController III Pro. At a minimum it will have support for additional pH, ORP and temperature probes.

Curt

Back