Calcium reactor pH problem

five.five-six

I've been running calcium reactors since before it was common to use a controller to run the solenoid. I'm no expert but this isn't my first rodeo either.

The Co2 is running at about 30-40 BPM and the effluent is running at maybe 100 drops per minute.

These rates, IME should turn the media into pudding in a week, but I can't get the pH below 6.45.

I've tried running higher bubble rates and lower drip rates, but the reactor just fills up with Co2.

I've been running this reactor for several years, but this just started about a month ago.

so far, i have cleaned calibrated the pH probe, cleaned and inspected the circulation pump and replaced the check valve.

What else should I look at?

Check the Alk of the Effluent. As long as you're running +dKH you should be fine. If you're running some of the larger sized Reactor Media, it can withstand lower pH values down to 6.2 before melting like the older smaller grain would at 6.5. That might be your issue as I've noticed Reactor Media options becoming more limited and generally increasing in size. I use a mix of small and larger sized Reactor Media to get my desired Alk output at 6.4. Alternatively, your pH probe may be toast. Best of luck!

Check the Alk of the Effluent. As long as you're running +dKH you should be fine. If you're running some of the larger sized Reactor Media, it can withstand lower pH values down to 6.2 before melting like the older smaller grain would at 6.5. That might be your issue as I've noticed Reactor Media options becoming more limited and generally increasing in size. I use a mix of small and larger sized Reactor Media to get my desired Alk output at 6.4. Alternatively, your pH probe may be toast. Best of luck!
I actually prefer the larger media options, generally the biggest I can get. Seems to take longer to clog up.

I haven’t measured the effluent for DKH but I am struggling to keep my ALK up.

The thing is, I’ve never had a problem getting the pH in this reactor dangerously low. But suddenly I’m having trouble getting it to where I like it :(

Did you recently change Media brands? I like TLF Reborn. I've noticed Extra Coarse ARM takes closer to 6.2 to break down. Another thing to check is the impeller on your Recirculation Pump for your reactor. If it ran dry it may not be circulating as well and mixing the CO2 into the Chamber to bring down the pH.

Back