Aquarium Controllers

Elricsfate

Hi all,

I'm a "buy more than you need now and grow into it" kind of guy. I am interested in getting into aquarium controllers and gradually expanding to use many of the functions that I don't necessarily need right now on day one. So, I'm going to go with the Apex.

My question is that I have heard Seneye specifically referenced numerous times in BRS videos as being good for monitoring ammonia. It also appears to have some light measurement capabilities that the Apex does not have. So it appears to me to be rational to have both the Seneye and the Apex.

Am I missing something? Is there too much overlap in the feature set to justify buying both?

Just to save keystrokes, let me state up front that cost is not a driving factor. I can afford both. I just want to know if it makes sense to buy both.

Thanks in advance. :)

The only value I see in being able to measure ammonia would be with a hospital tank (otherwise worthless to me). The ability to measure light may be a worth while investment though.

As for the controllers, Apex certainly has a large following but I my Reef Angel. It is highly expandable and literally capable of doing anything you can think up. The only other kit I'd consider right now is the Profilux because everything is contained in a single unit vice expansion modules like the Apex and Reef Angel (keeps it nice and tidy).

Once your tank has cycled, it is very doubtful you will ever have to measure ammonia. I haven't measured my tanks ammonia in years and if I set up TTM or QT I rely on the Ammonia alert badges and dose Prime or something similar as a precaution. I don't know what aspect of light the Seneye measures but I can tell you that PAR (the most meaningful measurement for corals) cannot be accurately measured if you use either LED or T5. This is, I believe, because any one bulb has limited spectrum and is not all inclusive as it is with MH.

JMHO. By the way I love my Apex and do more with it than I ever thought I would.

According to the product description taken from BRS' page:

LUX
Monitors ambient LUX and can be used to take direct LUX readings, understand how your light degrade over time.

Kelvin
Understand where on the kelvin range your lights are and how light can change over time.

PAR
Monitor the Photosynthetically Active Radiation (PAR), understand if you have the correct quantity and quality of light for your corals or plants.

Once your tank has cycled, it is very doubtful you will ever have to measure ammonia. I haven't measured my tanks ammonia in years and if I set up TTM or QT I rely on the Ammonia alert badges and dose Prime or something similar as a precaution. I don't know what aspect of light the Seneye measures but I can tell you that PAR (the most meaningful measurement for corals) cannot be accurately measured if you use either LED or T5. This is, I believe, because any one bulb has limited spectrum and is not all inclusive as it is with MH.

JMHO. By the way I love my Apex and do more with it than I ever thought I would.

Accurate measurements of LED and T5 is certainly possible as PAR meters measure output from 400-700nm (perfectly acceptable). Based on BRS test results, the Seneye is reportedly quite close to Apogee in regard to PAR output.

Image from Apogee website.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I can tell you that PAR (the most meaningful measurement for corals) cannot be accurately measured if you use either LED or T5. This is, I believe, because any one bulb has limited spectrum and is not all inclusive as it is with MH.

What??

You don't need "full spectrum" to accurately read PAR.

Once your tank has cycled, it is very doubtful you will ever have to measure ammonia. I haven't measured my tanks ammonia in years and if I set up TTM or QT I rely on the Ammonia alert badges and dose Prime or something similar as a precaution.

This.

It is possible, or perhaps certain, that my perspective is a bit different from most. I like gadgets and tech. I like things I can look at and gain useful info. Even if I only set this thing up when I cycled a tank, it would have value.

I intend to cycle more than one tank over the course of time. The thing costs a couple hundred bucks...or dinner for 4 at the local Japanese Steakhouse. To me, that's acceptable.

I just wanted to be sure I wasn't buying two things that do the same thing, because that would be foolish. I know the apex has (or can have) sensors that measure some of the same things. But it sounds like the light measurement on the Seneye is of value all the time, and the ammonia measurement is of value at least some of the time.

I truly appreciate the input. I spend a lot of time gathering information and listening to other folks' opinions prior to making these bigger purchases. In the end, I want whatever is going to increase my chances of properly creating and maintaining the environment the creatures in my tanks need. If I need to spend a few hundred dollars here and there to meet that goal, I'm cool with that.

Go for it! Most of us in this hobby are gadget folk, in one form or another. My must have gadget may not be yours. Me, I have had every type of light over my tank at one time or another. And, I think I am on my 5th skimmer, I know it is my second CA reactor. Seems like every month out goes another 200 9or more), maybe just for more corals.

This may not be what you're looking for but as far as a controller goes it's outstanding. They have three models available I got the cheapy but am very happy with it, for the low end it has a ton of features. I expanded to add a pH probe. BTW I love gadgets myself.

http://www.digitalaquatics.org/

Back