Aquascape and new name for new tank... "The Ledge"

CuzzA

Thought I would share a picture of my aquascape for the new tank. Rocks are in the Gulf right now (Tampa Bay Saltwater). Every rock is tagged and numbered to help put them back they way I have originally mocked them up. I also made removable coral plate holders out of portland cement, sand and rock rubble. I also drilled holes in the rock to hold them. That should make it easy to pull some corals if necessary for dips and fragging.

The top "ledge" will be attached to my overflow box. The pond foam in the ledge makes it positive buoyant so there's no concerns of weight pulling on the box. I will likely cover it with encrusting corals. Perhaps some NPS corals underneath as the flow of nutrients over the ledge should keep them well fed.

The center right rock is designated for a magnifica anemone. In an effort to keep it on that spot I will likely keep the tank lights off except for a single spot light on that structure then gradually increase my lighting while maintaining the spot light. My hope is it will appreciate that spot having the most light in the tank and stay put.

I also hollowed out all of the large rocks you see. I did it in such a way that the rocks basically have legs. This will not only provide more territory/housing for lots of fish, but should prevent detritus accumulation beneath the rocks. I found from my 90 gallon that opening up your rock work and having substantial flow through the system is ideal for eliminating detritus.

Anyways. I'm getting excited about the new tank. I should mention too that I'm doing a shadow box background. Should be pretty sweet and very natural looking. You won't see any equipment in this tank except one powerhead wire in the right corner and the 4 sea swirl elbows. Powerheads will be nem proofed. I will also place some select gorgonians across the back. :)

So, what do you think?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2770.jpg
    IMG_2770.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Looks good - how long do you plan to leave the rock in the gulf?

Thank you. It's been soaking since about August. My concerns weren't so much about attracting as much life as possible, rather eliminating the phosphates within the rock.

At this point I'm sure they are phosphate free and any dead/decaying matter that was bound in the rock is long gone.

Unfortunately with the current El Nino and the winter cold fronts, the Gulf has been pretty violent since December and the viz has been terrible. I hope to have the opportunity to dive in the next month or so to see how they look. Of course pulling them is all dependent on getting the new tank up and running. This way I can pull them and drop them right in the tank with zero die off. From there I'll be spending time catching crabs. I'll probably just make a miniature stone crab trap like we use in here in the Gulf and begin the trapping process.

Then of course I will start stocking. :D

If you are going to be a dork and name your tank you at least have to make it cool loke Ledge Hammer. ;-)

Definitely subscribing and glad to see you moving forward! Seeing you tank in the garage really convinced me to order my 8' tank. As I recall, you had a nice plan going on under the tank too, will you be reviewing that at all? I could use some inspiration.

If you are going to be a dork and name your tank you at least have to make it cool loke Ledge Hammer. ;-)

Haha.. I figured "The Ledge" was fitting giving the aquascape. I've never seen a tank where rock was incorporated into a semi coast to coast overflow. So given its uniqueness it needed a name. I think the shadow box is going to make it look amazing and everything will come together. Something you could easily pull off since your tank is off the wall.

Definitely subscribing and glad to see you moving forward! Seeing you tank in the garage really convinced me to order my 8' tank. As I recall, you had a nice plan going on under the tank too, will you be reviewing that at all? I could use some inspiration.

I'll start a proper build thread documenting every aspect and my philosophy of why I'm doing what I'm doing. A lot of zones within the system and a lot of automation. After all, setting up a tank, at least for me, is the really fun part. Total system volume will be around 600 gallons.

Here I just wanted to share the aquascape. ;)

Yeah I am good with my setup. If I change anything involving overflows it will be to install a new tank. ;-)
I wonder if I can fit 600 gallons in my space without getting my throat slit?

It will be interesting seeing this come to life. You're definitely thinking outside the box.

Indeed, some have suggested I'm overdoing it, but if it's worth doing.. It's worth over doing. ;)

Not sure if you are following but Vivid Aquariums is in the middle of re-doing their 800g and did a similar ledge. It's definitely going to be the best part of your rock-scape!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_SLSwfv2Kc

I think it's going to be pretty cool. Hiding the overflow box was a priority for me. I really like the aquascape on that vivid tank, but I think they went too big with the rocks. No room for corals to grow out. That was a big consideration for my tank. I enjoy growing full colonies so while my aquascape looks slightly minimalist in comparison, it should provide plenty of room to grow big corals and fill in nicely while still providing ample room for fish. I'm also going to be very picky with the coral selection. If it doesn't pop, it doesn't go in the tank. :D

Question your rock!

Question your rock!

@CuzzA - Are we ever going to see what the rock looks like after you got out of the gulf?

Back