Aquascaping is hard!!

Cearbhaill

Premium Member
Actually- that would describe my entire reef experience- hard!

Understanding the setup options was hard.
Deciding what equipment to use was hard.
Coming up with the cash is hard.
Plumbing is dang hard!
Lifting the blasted rock is hard.
Understanding water chemistry is hard.
Choosing lighting is hard.
Choosing stock is hard.

The whole experience is a challenge. Sometimes I wonder if a nice cruise wouldn't have been a wiser choice- sure would have been cheaper that's for sure.

Anyway- aquascaping.
This is the hardest yet. It is not entirely an artistic expression as I am repeatedly limited by the size and shape of my rock. You think you have a plan and the **** thing won't balance, or a favorite organism will be crushed.

This is the best I can come up with given the shapes of rock I have- and this took the better part of a morning.
It looks terribly precarious I'll grant you- but is not. You can shove on any rock and get no wiggle- it is very steady, and I can still reach all of the glass with my algae scraper. I had to take a hammer to a few pieces to ensure steadiness (and hack off several bivalves), but the raw edges should algae up fairly fast.

Think this will do?
I am a bit concerned that I have too many shady areas? I was trying to provide lots of holes for fish to swim through or lurk in, but is this too much shade?

DSC02010.JPG

is it all along the back wall? it looks very straight up and down?
but it could be the pic...its looking good though, nice open sand space, thats was very important to me on my set up this weekend..Greg

yes, I agree aquascaping can be a real pain, but it sure is rewarding when you get it right.

No one can tell you have to set up your own tank. If it looks good to you, so be it. That being said, with the large rocks you have, you are somewhat limited. If I were you, I would try and get the base rocks more forward, and thefore get a little slope going towards the back wall with the upper rocks, and you will decrease the amount of shading.

If I were you, I would try and get the base rocks more forward, and thefore get a little slope going towards the back wall with the upper rocks, and you will decrease the amount of shading.
Good idea.
I will do that the next time I "go in".

Hey!
Pompano?
I'm North Lauderdale!
How bout you come help!?
just kidding, but still...

Well, keep in touch. What are you planning on stocking? I am at four months now and I've been stocking zoanthids. It would be nice to have someone local to swap frags with.

I'm sorta local up near Orlando (if you count 3 hours away local) :) . I am always looking for someone to swap with. I have so far stocked the following.

zoanthus (6 different colonies)
palythoa
ricordea
star polyps
trumpet coral
torch coral
frogspawn
mushrooms
rhodactus
brain corals
purple rim cap
acropora yongei
acropora tortousa

Being that the tank is quite young nothing is really ready to frag. But the time will come.

kurt

Back