Are Bristle Worms bad for your tank? This one is!!!

Webmanny

This Guy had no idea this enormous Bristle Worm was living in his fish tank.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/z-JWkiIozGI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is a Eunice or Bobbitt worm....very different from a bristle worm. That thing will eat fish. A bristle worm that size would definitely irritate stuff but still not feast on your fish.

I had a pretty big one once - got it out of the tank when I moved - it had grown from something pretty tiny to being long enough to almost wrap the circumference of a 5 gallon bucket.

That is a question countless have posed and something intuitively tells us they can't be good.

In my mind, the short answer has been, the small ones are fine, but the big ones might become a problem. They actually can be viewed as beneficial members of the food chain.

Now I believe all bristleworms should be eradicated. I recently had an experience with small bristleworms causing an Acan infection. They either fed off the coral or constantly irritated the tissue with their bristles until it became infected. Then the infection spread to other acans. If left unchecked, this could have led to the deadly "domino effect."

Back