Are too many snails a problem?

FireViper

Our LFS guy provided several snails to start our tank. Initially a few each of turbo and nassarius, probably three of each. Added some ceriths that were suppose to help with cyano (not). Also had a few hitchhiker red and white trochus snails.

All have doubled in size in the few months we've had them and we have tons of babies slinking around--just counted 15 on the front glass alone. Is this normal? A sign that the tank is healthy? A sign that the tank is a mess? We're thinking it's pretty cool, but, not sure the health of the system.

Not much in the way of algae, small green stuff on the glass and one the newer rocks. Nowhere near what it was a couple of months ago. A touch of cyano in one corner. Two corals have algae that came with them, one looks like hair algae and the other looks to be a type of micro algae. Neither has spread beyond the host coral.

Thanks for any thoughts!

There is such a thing as too many snails. I think the current take on this is roughly one per gallon. Just keep in mind that there is a balance b/t them helping the tank and contributing to its demise. Every one of those mouths produces waste. It's better to lean towards fewer and having other creatures such as crabs, shrimp etc to balance out the cleaning effect.

IMO too many snails become problematic. At one point there's not enough food to sustain them and they die....adding back nutrients to the tank....instead of removing them.

The best CUC is excellent water!

IMO too many snails become problematic. At one point there's not enough food to sustain them and they die....adding back nutrients to the tank....instead of removing them.

+1 You need just enough snails to consume the algae which grows inside your tank. If you have too many snails they will slowly starve to death without supplemental feeding e.g. nori, algae wafers, etc.

Our water tests are okay--working on the water (see other post). Regardless, these little guys are breeding like crazy! I forgot to mention some really cool looking slugs with a back shield that have come out of nowhere, as well. Hoping the natural balance will resolve itself. . . .

Our water tests are okay--working on the water (see other post). Regardless, these little guys are breeding like crazy! I forgot to mention some really cool looking slugs with a back shield that have come out of nowhere, as well. Hoping the natural balance will resolve itself. . . .

Sound like Stomatella snails

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Googled them and yes indeed. Pretty cool little guys. Loved when one "reared up" to look around before it proceeded on its foraging. . . .

Thanks for the ID!

Good deal :) those guys and gals will self regulate their population. Unlike the big turbos and turbans deaths won't cause big ammonia spikes. You have a pretty big water volume and you would hope your ammonia cycle is robust enough to accommodate the loss of a bigger guy but always better safe than sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I leave my snail population alone. I agree with scattered that their numbers will self regulate. If you feel you have too many and are near Redwood City, I can trade you snails for coral.
Cheers! Mark

I leave my snail population alone. I agree with scattered that their numbers will self regulate. If you feel you have too many and are near Redwood City, I can trade you snails for coral.
Cheers! Mark

We're in the East Bay--if the snail population gets completely out of control, I'll let you know. We kinda like having them cruise around--fun to watch.

Back