Are Waves with Whitecaps Possible in Monster Tanks?

Hello to the group,

I currently researching the equipment needed to produce various types of water flows in large monster tanks (850 - 1,000 gallons). My tank will be either 14’ or 16’ long and 36” high and 30” or 36” wide.

I’m curious if there is a way to produce small whitecaps on the surface of my tank water and have them roll down the long front length? Similar to waves rolling towards a beach, but with less intensity.

Is this feasible? If the upper 6” height of the tank were left available (no water) there would be room to have some realistic waves rolling down the length of the tank, with the occasional whitecap… Are wavemaker units powerful enough to make whitecaps on the water? It would be awesome to see, even if it was only available on demand.

My tank will be a FOWLR with several Triggerfish and a couple of large Eels. The goal is to try to replicate the waves rolling in over a coral reef, but in a smaller way. This is part of my goal to make my predator tank a more realistic environment for the occupants.

If I need more room at the top left open, I can increase the tank height as needed…

Cheers!

I think white caps in nature are generated by wind action. Perhaps a pulsing fan system could do it. If you can make it work, patent it lol.

Best 'traditional' wave maker that might get the effect is the gyre style pumps.

The New York aquarium has a wave/seashore tank where they have sand on one end where fiddler crabs and other intertidal animals live so the waves break on the "shore". The tank uses a baffle that extends down to the bottom of the glass and fits tightly side to side.

It slowly goes back and forth to create waves. Very cool.

You would need a slope or very shallow tank because waves break in shallower water and is called a breaker. Waves in open water are wind driven and usually are more of swells.
I forget the formula but surfers have one that is like a wave breaks in water half as deep as the wave is tall or something like that. I honestly do not remember but I bet it can be looked up.

Waves are made if I remember right by drag on the bottom and somewhat with water rushing back from last wave.,

The problems with aquariums is they are not designed for that force and can split a seam.

The Tunze Wave boxes do a good job of simulating a wave.

I know there was a demonstration once with someone did a little rolling wave with two powerheads in a open aquarium. I believe one was set lower to produce drag and the other one on top was pulsing. Again long term this kind of action can bust a standard aquarium.

1658235738600.png

I was looking the video and cam across this:

Last edited:
You would need a slope or very shallow tank because waves break in shallower water and is called a breaker. Waves in open water are wind driven and usually are more of swells.
I forget the formula but surfers have one that is like a wave breaks in water half as deep as the wave is tall or something like that. I honestly do not remember but I bet it can be looked up.

Waves are made if I remember right by drag on the bottom and somewhat with water rushing back from last wave.,

The problems with aquariums is they are not designed for that force and can split a seam.

The Tunze Wave boxes do a good job of simulating a wave.

I know there was a demonstration once with someone did a little rolling wave with two powerheads in a open aquarium. I believe one was set lower to produce drag and the other one on top was pulsing. Again long term this kind of action can bust a standard aquarium.

View attachment 32372669

I was looking the video and cam across this:
Thanks for your reply! I had thought that if I could easily produce whitecaps in my tank that it would be an “on demand” only feature. I’m still researching this and hopefully, there will be a way to at least get close to the real thing, if only occasionally. 😎

Cheers!

Last edited:
Did you ever figure it out ? I was thinking that a large DIY wave box in the opposite end as you want the wave to cap might do it if you had a shallow enough section. You would need a very sturdy tank and stand to withstand the constant punishment of the wave.

Back