ASM g-3 questions

Daffydanny

Im trying to fit this skimmer into a 29g sump(30x12x18 high) and I was woundering if its possible. The outline of this skimmer is 11" by 12" so it would be a tight fit. My main question is to know how many inches of water(minimum) should this in-sump be in to work properly. I want to know because it will regulate the height of my baffle.

Thanks

Here are some specs: http://www.aquatictech.com/skimmers.htm

i had an ASM G2, it has th same footprint and it fit in a 12X12 section, i had 12 inch baffls (12 inches of water depth) and it worked great, as for the min. i truly dont know, sorry

Yes it will fit. Min water level "I THINK" is 8-9 inches.

asmskimmer dot com used to sell them and the guy is very knowledgeable about them. Even though they don't sell them anymore you might want to give them a call.

(513)897-1605

Last edited:
8-13" like mentioned is what I've been told for my euro-reef, and ill venture to guess that its the same for its clone :p

That being said, mine fit snugly into its 29g home.

This was very helpful, ill make sure to call tommorrow & ill shot for 12inches in depth like lilfishbigreef

you could always build an eggrate platform if 12 is too much for you, i think i ran mine at 9" if i remember, drier foam.

it was an asm g2 with the same pump as the g3.

Just found one without having to take a new one.

Here ya go. This was obviously before everything was set up.

TheBeginning.jpg

Ummm - I guess I should have brought this up earlier.

Whether the G3 can fit into a 29 gal tank is not the problem.
It can.
The problem is whether you can get the G3 in and out of the sump once things are in place.

I don't know what kind of stand you have but this could be a real problem because you obviously need to be able to get it in and out for maintenance.

I bought a stock 48" long stand for a 36" long tank just to have more space within the sump area. The G3 can not come over the edge of the 29 gal sump and straight out of the stand EVEN THOUGH I cut the bottom out of the stand and the 29 gal is sitting on the floor within the stand. I have to disassemble the G3 where it sits and bring parts over the side (staying within the stand) and then bring things out the door of the stand where I have extra space (due to the stand being 48" long and the 29 gal only 30" long).

Make sense?

Thank you VERY much coralfragger!!!! I have already considered the stand problem but I think I could make it work since the doors on my stand are rather large.

O yeah one more important question:

How many inches do you have to use to take the collection cup off.

I ask this because I only have a 3in. clearing between a g-3 and the bottom of my tank.

thanks again

3" will be plenty to remove the collection cup.

Even if you cabinet doors are large - that isn't the problem.

What size is the cabinet?

The asm skimmers only need 1/4" clearance for removal of the collection cup.I have a G4+ that I use in a 29 gallon sump and I have never had a problem removing the entire skimmer from the sump,and my skimmer is a lot bigger then the G2 & G3.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=12922555#post12922555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by coralfragger101
You obviously have a cabinet that doesn't pose a problem. Some cabinets will pose a problem.

Lol,I'm sorry I just realized how short your stand was in the picture.I am a carpenter by trade,so I just design and build all of my stands.My current one is 38" tall.

If the OP has a store bought or short stand he will have issues like you posted.

Last edited:
Back